Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

the miz
Addicted!

Re: Headflow Masters Turnkey Engine

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:30 am

Jivermo wrote:Currently, my HFM rebuild is running very well, and I will most likely be doing the 200 mile oil change and forensic valve adjustment/Colinstylecheck this weekend. Absolutely no oil leaks or drips. Frankly, I'm amazed.
Ian, sorry I missed this one...that's fantastic news!
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:32 am

airkooledchris wrote:Ive always installed my valve covers right side up. There's no way VW build them to be shown upside down.
...unless they wanted you to be able to read the logo when removing the cover, while lying on your back, perpendicular to the engine??? :drunken:
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 am

asiab3 wrote:Rumor on the internet, is that having your valve covers on with the VW logo upside down is better at preventing leaks. Have you tried it?
Robbie
Profoundly pungent horse crap, by crappy. Look at the dadgum things. Carefully. Arrive at your own conclusions after controlling for all other variables.
ColinWheezerGeezer
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:45 am

I did the 200 mile oil change on my HFM rebuild this weekend. As I've noted, there has been no oil leakage whatsoever from this engine. I park it on clean concrete, and it is pretty much spotless. The drained oil was pretty dark. I pulled the bottom plate where the internal oil strainer is located, in order to check and clean the strainer. The strainer was new, it appeared. At the bottom of the plate are a series of indentations and ridges. Collected in these was a thick black sludge, which I examined carefully. In the sunlight, I could not really see the telltale glint of metal particles, nor did I see any apparent glint in the bottom of the oil drain pan when I poured it off. What would account for this thick sludge, though? I'm puzzled by this. The engine has been running very well. It started right up after several weeks sitting when I was out of town. Cylinder head temp averages 350 when driving around Miami in 90 degree heat.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Jivermo wrote:I did the 200 mile oil change on my HFM rebuild this weekend. As I've noted, there has been no oil leakage whatsoever from this engine. I park it on clean concrete, and it is pretty much spotless. The drained oil was pretty dark. I pulled the bottom plate where the internal oil strainer is located, in order to check and clean the strainer. The strainer was new, it appeared. At the bottom of the plate are a series of indentations and ridges. Collected in these was a thick black sludge, which I examined carefully. In the sunlight, I could not really see the telltale glint of metal particles, nor did I see any apparent glint in the bottom of the oil drain pan when I poured it off. What would account for this thick sludge, though? I'm puzzled by this. The engine has been running very well. It started right up after several weeks sitting when I was out of town. Cylinder head temp averages 350 when driving around Miami in 90 degree heat.
Sludge? Did you roll it between your fingers? Did you distill it by smearing it out? Did you sniff it? If it is but a carbony paste, let it go. If it is gritty, well, we know what it is and shall continue to hope that the engine rinses itself well, and you will change your oil filter frequently.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Answers: yes, sludge. I did roll it around my fingers, and smeared it on paper, while examining in the glint of the sun. No shiny metal stuff going on, and no grit feeling. Yes, it could well be described as a carbony paste.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:33 am

Jivermo wrote:Answers: yes, sludge. I did roll it around my fingers, and smeared it on paper, while examining in the glint of the sun. No shiny metal stuff going on, and no grit feeling. Yes, it could well be described as a carbony paste.
Good. I have to say, the THall Headflow Masters engine sounded and ran very well. It was built earlier than I thought, which has forced me to post a specific retraction regarding the choice of camshaft, which I will post when I get the time.

Colin
(someday, I tell ya, I am going to open the Long Enterprises box in my possession)

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:46 am

Jivermo wrote: In the sunlight, I could not really see the telltale glint of metal particles, nor did I see any apparent glint in the bottom of the oil drain pan when I poured it off.

...wish I could say the same, this was the strainer plate at the 100 mi oil change...lots of that silver caulky stuff and a few metal flakes and curly-queues:

...can't wait for Colin's visit tomorrow...

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 am

Damn! Not a pretty sight. Suggest that you save the metal shards. Maybe you can figure from the metal what parts it originated from. It the stuff magnetic?

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:54 am

Jivermo wrote: Suggest that you save the metal shards. Maybe you can figure from the metal what parts it originated from. It the stuff magnetic?
...huh, that might've been a good idea. :drunken:
...alas, the only evidence which remains is the photo....

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:58 pm

The latest update can be found in my 2016 itinerary thread:viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13083&p=221380#p221380
Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Performed the ~500 mile oil change last weekend, The amount of silicone and metal shards was vastly reduced...there were really only 2 metal shards of note and they were magnetic. I may change the oil again after ~1000 mi, if for no other reason than to see if there are still metal and silicone bits in the strainer trap.
-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:52 pm

On a new engine, I really don't think there is such a thing as too many oil changes.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 am

the miz wrote:Performed the ~500 mile oil change last weekend, The amount of silicone and metal shards was vastly reduced...there were really only 2 metal shards of note and they were magnetic. I may change the oil again after ~1000 mi, if for no other reason than to see if there are still metal and silicone bits in the strainer trap.
-miz
Drop the taco plate at the same time. That can be a shard repository.
Colin