Valve Cover Gasket Differences?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

slow.bus
I'm New!

Valve Cover Gasket Differences?

Post by slow.bus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Just completed my 1st official valve adjustment - no problem - but valve cover have leaked since.

I tried a few times, and checked all sorts of sites for tips etc (but chose to not use glue of any sorts) ... no dice. Tried 3 times.

Dug the old ones out of the garbage, cleaned them and put them back in ... no leaks (yet) ...

Before putting them back in, I compared old and new ... old much narrower, and seemingly different material .... or is this just shrinkage?

Any suggestions? cannot keep using these old ones forever?
FullSizeRender6.jpg
1981 Westfalia
Dents & Dings, but no Rust

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Valve Cover Gasket Differences?

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Many out there are thinner and apparently narrower. I'm not sure what I can tell you but to give them a look before purchase. I've been having issues, but I think it's a tired valve cover bale not giving a healthy clamp.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Also, be aware of how easy it is to slide the gasket when you slip the cover in place. Last time I pulled mine, I found that the gasket had been smushed 1/4 inch up into the rockers, barely touching the mating surface.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:34 am

No glues? Coat the gasket to cover side with Indian Head gasket sealer, and put a coating on heavy grease on the gasket to head side. If your bails and covers are in good condition, that will provide a leak free, durable seal. This works very well-it is how Colin does it, and how he showed me.

slow.bus
I'm New!

Post by slow.bus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:27 pm

If glue is needed - I guess I will just bite the bullet - I just find it difficult to believe I need it (as the re-cycled old ones work perfect).

At present, my preference is to shop around (add some to any other parts order) ... find the ones that work, and then buy a bunch ...
1981 Westfalia
Dents & Dings, but no Rust