1972 Bus - Engine R&R checklist

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

1972 Bus - Engine R&R checklist

Post by Gypsie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:23 am

I am hoping that all the wise one out there in IAC land find this thread because I am looking for some guidance.

I am getting ready to drop my engine in my Vanagon.

Not a big deal really but this particular drop is frustrating because it is to replace the oil cooler seals. That's 2 thirty cent pieces. I had the engine out just berfore Thanksgiving to put on a new head. Now that was a 'reason' to dorp the engine. I am kicking myself in the pants because I did not just do these seals when I had the engine out last time. Doh!

So heres my question:

Can y'all think of anything else I should go over when the engine is on the ground. I am making a checklist of things to check/adjust/swapout whenever the engine is removed.

One thing I am going to look at is the cooling fins and file down any burrs that I find (I have 2 new heads that haven't had that attention).

also if you have any ideas as to how to soften up the apron that goes around the tin in the engine compartment. Mine is old and hard in spots.

Thanks.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:46 am

Clean all fins on heads and cylinders.
Remove that spark plug you dropped in the tinwork.
Remove that spark plug socket you dropped in the tinwork.
Clutch components.
Engine and Transmission mounts.
Tighten up that big gap you left in the tinwork.

Off the top of my head...

And I used "you" as in a global "you", not you Gypsie.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:32 pm

DurocShark wrote: Tighten up that big gap you left in the tinwork.

And I used "you" as in a global "you", not you Gypsie.
Funny you should mention it.
You may not have meant me but when I had the engine out last time I had bent the front part of my tin (where the tranny connects to the engine) and now there is a big ole gap on that part. I will be bending that back into shape.

I am also putting a call out to the Portland folk to borrow a ATV jack. I want to try it on this R&R to see if I want to buy one. PLEEEEEEASE!!

Did I hear that Tristessa has one?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Gypsie wrote:I am also putting a call out to the Portland folk to borrow a ATV jack. I want to try it on this R&R to see if I want to buy one. PLEEEEEEASE!!

Did I hear that Tristessa has one?
The ATV jack is one of the best tool investments I've made. Much better than dealing with the wobbly floor jack.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Remember a while back I asked about what you guys used for jacks? We ended up getting one of these hydraulic tables from Harbor Freight. It was on sale for 199. the day we bought it and it has a rubber top on it. It worked perfectly for Jeffrey to drop the engine plus he had room to put tools and spare parts. The handle can be put in a flat position too. :cheers:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93116
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:26 pm

I like how you can jack that thing up and be able to wrench on it without bending over too far.

My budget puts me in this range: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisear ... &Submit=Go

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:30 pm

Gypsie wrote: My budget puts me in this range:
Well shoot, if you're talking budgets... My budget allows me to accept payment for taking it off their hands. heh

Actually have Troy's ATV jack in my garage with the 79 engine on it. I got a benchmount engine stand but no bench to mount it to...

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:33 pm

DurocShark wrote:My budget allows me to accept payment for taking it off their hands. heh

????
Does that mean it's not worth the 62 bucks?

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:37 pm

Gypsie wrote:
DurocShark wrote:My budget allows me to accept payment for taking it off their hands. heh

????
Does that mean it's not worth the 62 bucks?
No, it means I have no budget.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:29 pm

I've got that HF ATV jack whenever you want to use it Gypsie. It worked well when we pulled Wayne's engine.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:08 pm

Gypsie wrote:I like how you can jack that thing up and be able to wrench on it without bending over too far.

My budget puts me in this range: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisear ... &Submit=Go
That's exactly why we got it, to make stuff easier. Jeff had a back injury sometime back and after he and Colin worked wrestled with Phred's engine this last go round, I wanted a better solution to protect his back. I care about that back! that to me was worth the extra change.

Plus I really like to get him new toys when we can afford it, especially when there's a need. :king:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Gypsie wrote:I like how you can jack that thing up and be able to wrench on it without bending over too far.

That's the one I got. It was on sale for $35 then.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:46 pm

Thanks Jasan. Are you still off work (Waiting til Monday?) I would like to start in the next coupla days. P'raps I could swing by and pick it up.
Call or I'll check here.

Hows the fever by the way? On the mend yet? I've been feeling it coming on every time I think about you and Mark feeling the crud. I don't think I have anything, I just "THINK" I have something, tripper that I am.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 am

Gypsie wrote:Thanks Jasan. Are you still off work (Waiting til Monday?) I would like to start in the next coupla days. P'raps I could swing by and pick it up.
Call or I'll check here.

Hows the fever by the way? On the mend yet? I've been feeling it coming on every time I think about you and Mark feeling the crud. I don't think I have anything, I just "THINK" I have something, tripper that I am.
Yeah, I'll be here for the rest of the week. Let me know when you want to come by and grab it.

Fever's getting better. Still getting a mild temp followed by the chills every now and then. Felt better today than the last three by far though. Start popping the C and try finding some stuff called Esberitox if you feel it coming on. It just might save you a few days of agony.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:13 pm

I was thinking something like climbing in a plastic bubble submerged in a peroxide filled pool. Yeah, yeah, that'l keep the little germs off'n me. no it won't, You shut up you little 'condriac you. 'did you notice that bump under your arm?'

OK, howzabout this eve?

I have to go pick up my daughter soon and she is having a friend over so I will be occupado til 5ish.

do you still have my #s