Oil Temp Sensor Ideal Location?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Oil Temp Sensor Ideal Location?

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:27 pm

I found an old post by Ratwell on TS that gives this as the ideal place to mount the oil temp sensor.

But the mounting bracket for the support bar covers this galley plug. Has anyone placed their sensor here, or have a good idea on how this would be accomplished?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:38 pm

That looks like a type 1 case to me. Not sure. I know on a type 4 you can put it in one of the galleries by the oil cooler.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:11 pm

I think you're right about it being a t1 case. The layout of the t4 case is about the same, at least on the oil galley layout. At least on mine there is a threaded galley plug in this location, I don't think it's one I did, is it stock?
There's just the issue of clearing the support bracket.

[albumimg]438[/albumimg]

The one on the bottom is the gallery plug that sits behind the support bracket. The other plugs are for scale. On the left is the DD sender. It seems I could spot face the plug and recess the sender enough to clear.

...Anyone know what this plug is called or have a part number? (or a spare lying around :-) ) It would be nice to have a spare before I start monkeying around with it.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:15 pm

I think Sluggo's right with that being a typeI case but the type IV also has that same galley location. Here it is on mine but it's not one that Jake drilled and tapped so I'll stick with the taco plate.

[albumimg]439[/albumimg]
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Wow, so it's not a stock threaded plug. Weird it was the only one done on mine then. Wonder what they were up to?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:02 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Wow, so it's not a stock threaded plug. Weird it was the only one done on mine then. Wonder what they were up to?
Don't know but I can see how this would be a good location to take temp readings as it is right at the oil pickup for the pump coming out of the sump. The taco plate is very close but the oil doesn't circulate nearly as much through that area like at the pick up which could lead to some inaccuracies in temperature.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

germansupplyscott
Trusted Air-Cooled Parts Vendor

Post by germansupplyscott » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:00 pm

early crankcases, 1700 and possibly 1800's have a threaded steel hex socket plug in that gallery hole. later cases have a pressed in aluminum plug.

VW Bus-Centric Online Parts Source