Kubelwagen's engine meltdown

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: Kubelwagen's engine meltdown

Post by tristessa » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Kubelwagen wrote:Heads are done. Have not gotten the case back yet, new harness should arrive next week.
That's progress. :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Kubelwagen wrote: Heads are done. Have not gotten the case back yet, new harness should arrive next week.
Bump
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Got my case back!

Don't have anything else :(

Should in the next week or so! :)

Busy, busy the last (large) number of weeks and have had several non-VW related money pits flare up an consume my wallet. But, back in the shop soon!
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:51 am

Ah, that sucks.
Good to hear that good progress is being made though. :)

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:58 pm

So the VW work is bubbling back to the surface. More non-VW money pits have been in the way. Plus long work days/weeks and too many other projects. But our primary car just got taken out on Friday by an accident. It is repairable, and insurance has "given" us a rental, but it reminds me that reliable transportation is not to be taken for granted.

Here's the revised plan. My unknown-used engine seems to be pretty solid, if a bit tired. Plus I have stumbled into another used engine. So I'm going to hopefully get the passenger van out of Joseph's yard and on the road to use as a daily driver (the hightop is impossible to park at hospitals, which is where I work). Come spring time I'll either sell the passenger van to help staunch the bleeding on all these trice damned money pits or let #1 child start fixing it up to learn to drive on. Not that the poor old thing has ever done anything to deserve such a fate.

Meanwhile I will continue to slowly build my 'dream engine' for the camper. I have to admit that the temptation of a Hal-inspired frakenvan does continue to weigh on my mind. It is always possible that the rebuild will go into the passenger van....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Kubelwagen wrote:So the VW work is bubbling back to the surface.
So I'm going to hopefully get the passenger van out of Joseph's yard and on the road to use as a daily driver (the hightop is impossible to park at hospitals, which is where I work). Come spring time I'll either sell the passenger van to help staunch the bleeding on all these trice damned money pits or let #1 child start fixing it up to learn to drive on. Not that the poor old thing has ever done anything to deserve such a fate.

Meanwhile I will continue to slowly build my 'dream engine' for the camper. I have to admit that the temptation of a Hal-inspired frakenvan does continue to weigh on my mind. It is always possible that the rebuild will go into the passenger van....
Reliability Requirement Dictates Fealty To Factory Engineering
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:23 am

So I am hearing chatter on the interweb that Mr. Kubler is having some hiccups in an engine rebuild....Is this so?

Are you having an assembly gathering...?

Pm me ifn' you want to.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks man!

Yes, a build weekend soon now. My "build problems" are all logistical, ok there's probably some financial too, at this point. I need to be able to clear some of the honey-do list and to clear out the damn garage enough to work in it. Silly stuff, really but it keeps me from making any progress.

Spent the weekend pruning apple trees instead of working on it. However, climbing trees with the kids in the unseasonably warm weather had its own rewards. A tree fort is also on the agenda. I just need to learn to take life as it comes rather than as I'd like it to!

I need a day of putting the case together and making a shopping list for the rest to help put my mind at ease!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 am

Kubelwagen wrote: I need a day of putting the case together and making a shopping list for the rest to help put my mind at ease!
I expect to drive it. That'll help ease your mind . . .
Well? is it done yet? Well? is it done yet? Well? is it done yet? Well? is it done yet? Well? is it done yet?
Colin :bom:

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:37 am

Don't make me come back there!
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:44 am

Kubelwagen wrote:Thanks man!

Yes, a build weekend soon now. My "build problems" are all logistical, ok there's probably some financial too, at this point. I need to be able to clear some of the honey-do list and to clear out the damn garage enough to work in it. Silly stuff, really but it keeps me from making any progress.

Spent the weekend pruning apple trees instead of working on it. However, climbing trees with the kids in the unseasonably warm weather had its own rewards. A tree fort is also on the agenda. I just need to learn to take life as it comes rather than as I'd like it to!

I need a day of putting the case together and making a shopping list for the rest to help put my mind at ease!
So Mr. Kubelwagen,
Whatcha been doing the past 11 months? :joker:
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:29 am

Is your mind at ease?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am

Jivermo wrote:Is your mind at ease?
It's not like we all haven't all been all waiting here all in the parking lot . . .
Colinall

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:25 pm

Feb 2014 was the last we heard from Kubelwagen.
I forgot what van you're working on and what engine you are building?
All kidding aside, I already know.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:21 pm

it just occurred to me that the adventurewagen conversion has a little space over the engine, like a shelf? does it not?
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3