Free turbocharger and non-existent muffler

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Free turbocharger and non-existent muffler

Post by DjEep » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:21 am

Driving down to Santa Cruz to pick up an engine to tinker on, I started to notice what sounded like a turbo when I shifted. Every shift was accompanied by that distinctive vrrrooooooom..ch..swissshhh...ch...vroooomm...

Checked out my theory and sure 'nuff the crappy $10 EMPI muffler I bought on e-bay had split.

Stopped by the local "Volks Cafe" to see if they had one in stock. The guy behind the counter refused to believe in the existence of an upright-triangle-flanged EMPI header and muffler.

Well we have one, and the muffler and header were bought separately. What gives? Why can't I find another non-1-o'clock-angled muffler flange?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Free turbocharger and non-existent muffler

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:09 pm

DjEep wrote:Driving down to Santa Cruz to pick up an engine to tinker on, I started to notice what sounded like a turbo when I shifted. Every shift was accompanied by that distinctive vrrrooooooom..ch..swissshhh...ch...vroooomm...

Checked out my theory and sure 'nuff the crappy $10 EMPI muffler I bought on e-bay had split.

Stopped by the local "Volks Cafe" to see if they had one in stock. The guy behind the counter refused to believe in the existence of an upright-triangle-flanged EMPI header and muffler.

Well we have one, and the muffler and header were bought separately. What gives? Why can't I find another non-1-o'clock-angled muffler flange?
Can't answer that, being sort of stock-oriented when it comes to reliable exhaust. Are the heat exchangers modified with flange ends too?
Colin

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:35 pm

No flanges at the heaterboxes :(

I got the header and muffler from e-bay, separately, from different parts of the country. And they matched up. Both had the upright triangle flange. Now I can't find one anywhere.

My only theory is that maybe the header is one of the "stock" headers from Brazil. The only marking on it when I got it was a "Made in Brazil" sticker. Then maybe the muffler flange was cut and moved by the PO (it was used) to match his "stock" header.

I would go stock, but I'm afraid it won't let her 35.5mm exhaust valves breathe well. Correct me if I am wrong.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:55 am

speaking of breathing, got a dual quietpack yesterday and it sure helped the flow! Now it's hard to keep under 70 on the flats with a foot barely resting on the pedal :rolleyes:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:30 am

DjEep wrote:speaking of breathing, got a dual quietpack yesterday and it sure helped the flow! Now it's hard to keep under 70 on the flats with a foot barely resting on the pedal :rolleyes:
So you have noted a definite increase in power output with the dual quietpack? Here is the question: is it better than a healthy stock engine?
Colin

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:58 am

Here's another:
Is it more practical to buy a dual quiet pack for our already far-from-stock engine, or completely build/buy a whole new "stock" powerplant.

I see no need to re-engine over a rusty muffler. :blackeye:

I am by no means a power junky. Geri came with an 044 headed big valve 1776, and I felt no need to mess with success. I bought a used 1600 last week and plan on rebuilding that as a back-up, in case geri decides to grenade before the Arctic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:18 pm

DjEep wrote:Here's another:
Is it more practical to buy a dual quiet pack for our already far-from-stock engine, or completely build/buy a whole new "stock" powerplant.
We might not be able to use this moment in time to answer these pressing questions.

I was hoping that you might have a personal point of reference, such as time behind the wheel with a good stock engine to help us figure out what's what. So, the power you now experience with the dualpack is definitely better than what was on there originally (all other things 1776 35.5 etc being equal).
Colin

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm only tossing numbers out since they do seem to matter somewhat. I definite feel and even hear a difference between Geri's beast and the other smaller engined buses I own/know. She is a whole lot louder and "ballsy-er" than the others. I think the displacement and size of the valves has a lot to do with this. It sure ain't the bumper stickers.

Anywayz I was just being facetious, geez :king:

I wasn't trying to gain power, I was only going with what the local VW shop had in stock in my price range. It just happened to be a dually, and it happened to up the output a bit. I just wasn't expecting to be able to feel that dramatic a difference. And I felt like sharing, so sue me :geek: