Ryno's Cylinder head story.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:17 am

spiffy wrote:humma humma humma.......SCHWING!!!

Looking nice.

Did they give you the measurement on the step? Be interesting to see what your deck and volume numbers end up at. I had to switch heads completely (doubt you will have to, just providing ambient commentary) mid stream because a "reputable" "the guy to go to" didn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground. This builder would not give me any more head CC's and advised me to just "throw the deck out to around .120 or so and you will be fine" :cyclopsani: Yah....Um.....NO!!!!!

If Jim is providing tech advice you will be golden.

On another note I think the port work is really worth it, if you are still into it and are interested I can give you what I am seeing right now and you can go from there.....it basically goes something like this..."it won't hurt a damn thing".
I would like to know more about your port work expirience Spiffy. I will be taking off work a couple of days next week to begin reassembly, I will put together all the math then.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Fri May 01, 2009 4:33 pm

OK. My long block is together and the CR average is 7.7:1. I'm almost ready to re-install, just need a few more details finished up, prolly another month at my speed.

In other news, I ordered up the ceramic coated Thunderbird directly from Pertronix and check out the inspection photos:

Missing weld on the bottom of the collector

Rusty muffler seam

Inside of Muffler

I've spoken with them on the phone but the way their website is for ordering it looks like the return and exchange could be a total PITA.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri May 01, 2009 4:49 pm

that looks terrible, jeez. sorry to hear your having to deal with that.

for the quality, you could have gone with an EMPI unit and gotten something that looks even better, which it shouldn't.
1979 California Transporter

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Fri May 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Got a phone call back, seems like mine was the last one on the shelf because now they have no coated parts in stock now. I will know Monday how quickly they can get me another coated setup.

I'll spend the big bux on the Tangerine racing unit if I have to before I buy another EMPI.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon May 04, 2009 3:52 pm

WTF? And somehow they just expected you to look the other way and accept it?

JEESH :cyclopsani: They BETTER fix it for you, the knuckleheads.

Oh...about the porting, I wish I had a baseline on THIS setup to compare it to but so far the tune in process has resulted jetting changes that would compare to a slightly larger engine. It is very very snappy.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"