Can't get oil temp down

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

72Kombi
I'm New!

Post by 72Kombi » Sat May 03, 2008 7:51 am

chitwnvw wrote:If there's only one port it's an advance port, if you had two then you'd have an advance and a retard port.
I only recall one port on my distributor though. Shouldn't there be two then? Ill have to go out and check.
Matt

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat May 03, 2008 8:39 am

chitwnvw wrote:If there's only one port it's an advance port, if you had two then you'd have an advance and a retard port.
Exactly, if your vacuum lines are hooked up wrong you could be retarded ( di da deee :rabbit: ) or advanced at the wrong time. That would give you high head temps despite your false readings on the CHT gauge. Some will say head temps and oil temps are not really related, but they are if the whole engine is out of tune and running hot.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

72Kombi
I'm New!

Post by 72Kombi » Thu May 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Ok, I got all my parts and Im going to adjust the timing in the morning.

I think I found part of the problem. When I compare this new timing bar with the notch cut into the old one, the old one has the notch at 5 degrees BTDC, and my Muir book says it should be at 5 degrees ATDC. So its been running too fast, right? I would assume that turning the timing down that much I will have to adjust my idle up as well?
Matt

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu May 08, 2008 3:23 pm

You should adjust your timing by what distributor you have. Look on the distributor and find the number(s). Then go here, http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhignbo.htm Click on the distributor you have and figure out what your timing should be set to.

There is no way to know for sure that the distributor that is in your bus today is the one it came with from the factory. Therefore, you cannot use the timing info printed in the Bentley/Muir/etc. as they are quoting the factory specs.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 09, 2008 4:52 pm

72Kombi wrote:Ok, I got all my parts and Im going to adjust the timing in the morning.

I think I found part of the problem. When I compare this new timing bar with the notch cut into the old one, the old one has the notch at 5 degrees BTDC, and my Muir book says it should be at 5 degrees ATDC. So its been running too fast, right? I would assume that turning the timing down that much I will have to adjust my idle up as well?
OK, with a weber (coughcoughcrapcoughcough), you DO NOT WANT vacuum retard. The vacuum retard works in concert with the air bypass idle circuits on the Solex carbs (that would be the entire central idling circuit for the factory dual carb buses.

You want the 5-7.5 BTDC timing at idle, whatever best gives you 28-30* at 3,000 rpm. Do not be confused. The default timing for all VWs is the centrifugal advance figure at 3,000 rpm. Depending on the distributor you have, the idle timing WILL be 5-7.5* BTDC. If you have a functional vacuum retard distributor to go along with those handsome factory dual carbs, then 5* ATDC is your number. This is fun.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

72Kombi
I'm New!

Post by 72Kombi » Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 am

Amskeptic wrote:
OK, with a weber (coughcoughcrapcoughcough), you DO NOT WANT vacuum retard.
So the vacuum line on the Weber is just advance?
Matt

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat May 10, 2008 6:28 am

72Kombi wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Correct.

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Sat May 10, 2008 11:40 am

72Kombi wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
MAYBE!

You need to get a vacuum gauge and connect it that port and see EXACTLY what it does.

Vacuum at idle and it drops when you open the throttle means it is manifold vacuum. NOT good for vacuum advance!

No vacuum at idle and it appears when you open the throttle and disappears when you close the throttle means it is ported vacuum. This is what you need for vacuum advance.

Test, test, test..... do NOT guess!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 10, 2008 7:03 pm

karl wrote:
72Kombi wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
MAYBE!

You need to get a vacuum gauge and connect it that port and see EXACTLY what it does.

Vacuum at idle and it drops when you open the throttle means it is manifold vacuum. NOT good for vacuum advance!

No vacuum at idle and it appears when you open the throttle and disappears when you close the throttle means it is ported vacuum. This is what you need for vacuum advance.

Yeah, what he said.
Colin

72Kombi
I'm New!

Post by 72Kombi » Sat May 10, 2008 8:40 pm

karl wrote:
Who's guessing? That's why I asked.

I'll test the vacuum as you described. I have not had a chance to work on it yet but plan to in the AM.
Matt

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat May 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Yes, yes, never assume. I know that. Probably advance, but anything is possible. I shouldn't be forwarding probables as facts.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 11, 2008 7:31 am

72Kombi wrote:
karl wrote:
Who's guessing? That's why I asked.
Hey, chill. . . Karl was enjoying the phonetics. Remember that the reading audience is vast, and many of our replies are formulated for posterity, not just the hapless present victim. :king:
Colin

72Kombi
I'm New!

Post by 72Kombi » Sun May 11, 2008 8:47 am

OK need help ASAP.

Im out working now. The carb pulls vacuum when the throttle is pressed so it is a vacuum advance.

When the timing is set to 5 degrees btdc, it almost goes off the scale (40) at 3000 rpm. If I turn the distributor down to zero degrees (as far as it will go) it tops at 33 degrees at 3000 rpm.

What now?
Matt

72Kombi
I'm New!

Post by 72Kombi » Sun May 11, 2008 8:50 am

Amskeptic wrote: Hey, chill. . . Karl was enjoying the phonetics.
lol, Im not exited. The written word can get lost in translation. I just meant to convey that im not one of the "guessers"
Matt

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 11, 2008 9:28 am

72Kombi wrote:OK need help ASAP.

Im out working now. The carb pulls vacuum when the throttle is pressed so it is a vacuum advance.

When the timing is set to 5 degrees btdc, it almost goes off the scale (40) at 3000 rpm. If I turn the distributor down to zero degrees (as far as it will go) it tops at 33 degrees at 3000 rpm.

What now?
That is correct behavior. Chill again :flower:

Colin

(see, when you check centrifugal advance, you must take the advance hose off. With the hose on, the vacuum advance is allowed to bring it up to 40+ because it drops back under load.
Colin