1979 Bus - Emissions Inspection update

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:59 am

Vdubtech wrote:
1979westie wrote:Points filed down
Why waste your time?? Spend the $3 and replace them.
Some of us are environmental and want to get the full service life out of them. I refile points and get a good 50,000 miles + out of a set.
Colin :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:13 am

Yeah u can get a surprisingly long life out of points. After filing of course. They really work as good as new and only takes a couple minutes.
Too bad the cap and rotor is so disposible. I usually replace them once a year, in the spring.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

1979westie
I'm New!

Post by 1979westie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Some of us are environmental and want to get the full service life out of them. I refile points and get a good 50,000 miles + out of a set.
Colin taught me to file the points if not too bad. It may only be a few bucks saved, but why waste the money and an otherwise useable part?

Flower Child :flower:
"Only a catastrophe gets our attention. We want them, we need them, we depend on them. As long as they happen somewhere else. This is where California comes in. Mud slides, brush fires, coastal erosion, earthquakes, mass killings. We can relax and enjoy these disasters because in our hearts we feel that California deserves whatever it gets. Californians invented the concept of lifestyle. This alone warrants their doom." -Don DeLillo 'White Noise'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:46 pm

hambone wrote:Yeah u can get a surprisingly long life out of points. After filing of course. They really work as good as new and only takes a couple minutes.
Too bad the cap and rotor is so disposible. I usually replace them once a year, in the spring.
I replace them at engine overhaul time only. . . except the rotor, it's an original rpm-limiting rotor that, after a half a million miles, has a pretty big dent where the distributor cap's brush has been pressing down on it since I was 19 years old, and it no longer has much brass on the working end of it, too much filing I guess.
Colin

1979westie
I'm New!

Post by 1979westie » Wed May 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Round 2: Knockout!

I gave the bus a full service yesterday (oil, plugs, cap + rotor, points, reset the lifters, timing) and guess what. The bus passed with flying colors. My previous CO reading of 3.18 (3.00 is standard in NJ) is now a 2.70. It's amazing how sensitive these engines can be to simple tune ups (or lack thereof). It runs so much better, smoother, and more powerful. I'm going to make it a point to do more frequent maintenance. It's a fun way to kill a few hours and immensely satisfying. :flower:
"Only a catastrophe gets our attention. We want them, we need them, we depend on them. As long as they happen somewhere else. This is where California comes in. Mud slides, brush fires, coastal erosion, earthquakes, mass killings. We can relax and enjoy these disasters because in our hearts we feel that California deserves whatever it gets. Californians invented the concept of lifestyle. This alone warrants their doom." -Don DeLillo 'White Noise'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 06, 2009 8:28 pm

1979westie wrote:Round 2: Knockout!

I gave the bus a full service yesterday (oil, plugs, cap + rotor, points, reset the lifters, timing) and guess what. The bus passed with flying colors. My previous CO reading of 3.18 (3.00 is standard in NJ) is now a 2.70. It's amazing how sensitive these engines can be to simple tune ups (or lack thereof). It runs so much better, smoother, and more powerful. I'm going to make it a point to do more frequent maintenance. It's a fun way to kill a few hours and immensely satisfying. :flower:
Congratz. VWs do repay you for your attentive ministrations.
Colin

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri May 08, 2009 2:41 pm

1979westie wrote:I'm going to make it a point to do more frequent maintenance. It's a fun way to kill a few hours and immensely satisfying. :flower:

....And the people said 'ohhhhhhm...."
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri May 22, 2009 10:25 pm

i had no idea you could get that kind of usage out of a set of points and rotor, that's just crazy. I go through points like they are going out of style, in comparison anyway.

dang.

im actually suprised to hear so many are still using them, as I figured everyone else already switched over to electronic ignition by now.
1979 California Transporter