identifying oil leak sources (w/pictures) *updated*

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:35 pm

dingo wrote:10th pic from the top: what is that 1/4 copper line ?

that's the tenth pic from the top. is that what your referring to?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:58 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
dingo wrote:10th pic from the top: what is that 1/4 copper line ?
that's the tenth pic from the top. is that what your referring to?
Yeah, what IS that copper line?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:24 pm

if your referring to what I think your referring to, thats just one of those little protective sleeves for a wire that goes to the alternator or something.
It's too wet out right now to look, but I know its not a hard line, its a soft pliable rubber sleeve for a wire (for somethin' or 'nother')

Colin - before, with the heat marks issue, your saying I can do this myself, or this is whats done when you take em to be resurfaced?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Looks like quarter inch hvac pneumatic hose.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Looks like a part of my alt harness. Hey what are ya doin with my stuff?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:35 pm

airkooledchris wrote:if your referring to what I think your referring to, thats just one of those little protective sleeves for a wire that goes to the alternator or something.
Colin - before, with the heat marks issue, your saying I can do this myself, or this is whats done when you take em to be resurfaced?
Definitely do it yourself. 220 sandcloth. Be like a milling machine. Hold your hand in the same position and rotate the flywheel or pressure plate underneath slowly so you have a very dense consistent scratch going on. At the end of the first pass, wipe with a GumOut soaked paper towel. This will help slow down the contamination of the next piece of sandcloth. You will have a total of four passes per surface when you are done, 45* right, 45* left, Clean. 45* right again, 45* left again. Final clean. Do not bear down especially hard to get rid of those heat spots, try to do the whole thing down and then see if you got the heat marks off.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 am

see? told ya so. ;p

now that im looking right at it though, why would it pass directly across the top of the engine bay instead of being routed along the sides and up and out of the way? maybe that's how it was at one point.
anyway as you can see it just goes from the harness over to the coil.

I always thought those little sleeves for the cables were the original/stock ones..

Thanks for the note Colin. im going to do as you say with the 220, then do the seals I have and put it back together to see if one of those takes care of the leaks.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:35 pm

mine is routed under the intake plenum, out of the way like. Kind of tricky to get it through but it is nicely out of the way then.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:05 pm

airkooledchris wrote:Image

see? told ya so. ;p
Like I said, what's with that copper pipe?
:withstupid:

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Amskeptic wrote:What is your endplay?
ColinQuestionAMinute

with the new seal already installed, just a hair short of 4 thousandth's

a friendly neighbor stopped by so I could use his dial indicator (and so he could borrow my LM-1) and we were able to check it out.

I had to drop the trans back down the rest of the way as it wasn't mating up properly and I eyeballed the clutch positioning as I didn't have a clutch alignment tool. Im sure I could get it right with a few more tries, but its raining still and I can wait till I can pick one up so I can just do it once more and be done with it.

tried rotating the splines in case that's all that was keeping the two from mating back together, but no dice. at least I know what my endplay is now...

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:15 am

I've used a deep socket, that fits the pilot bearing, on an extension as an alignment tool. It works.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:02 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:I've used a deep socket, that fits the pilot bearing, on an extension as an alignment tool. It works.
I been using eyeballs since forever. A little tricky when the engine is sitting on a bottle jack under the car in the rain.
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:36 am

after reading that others had done that without too much trouble I thought 'no sweat' but I only gave it one shot and then hung it up. for $2 a picked up the little plastic tool from my local parts guys and ill give it another try tomorrow morning (or tonight if its really dry out)

its been nonstop pouring rain here literally every day since I first pulled the trans almost 3 weeeks ago now - next time ill back it into the garage and do it in there instead. I wasn't sure how id feel about jacking it up that high while in the garage but it looks like it would have worked fine....

of course now it'll be dry for a while and id rather be outside if I can...

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:40 pm

I am happy to say the reinstall went smoothly. Once I got the angle of the motor and trans to jive, and with the help of a friend, it just slid right on no sweat.

once everything was reconnected I had to fiddle around a bit to get my gears back where they used to be (1st and 2nd found their way over in reverse lockout land and it was jamming in 1st and 3rd for a bit)

so far so good. I haven't driven enough to really get the oil hot hot, but certainly enough where it would have been leaking at least a little bit before and so far - not a drop.

feels good to get that first drop out of the way. since its an aircooled vanagon I only dropped the trans, but some day ill tackle the motor as well and likely won't be as scurred as I once was...

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:58 am

=D> =D> =D>
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....