82Air-Cooled Westy...Decel Valve

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Robert Berglund
Getting Hooked!

82Air-Cooled Westy...Decel Valve

Post by Robert Berglund » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 pm

OK so I find a brand new one still in the box...nice and shinny and since Im redoing everything in Madam Helga I thought I would go ahead and install it allong with new hoses and clamps.
Woah Big Fella............. VW installed this simple valve from the BACKSIDE of the firewall....I say I say I say...the BACKSIDE of the firewall.
Thats about the silliest thing Ive seen in a few years.
OK....rant over :pukeleft:

This looks like a two man job...one to hold the valve (I gots huge hands) and one with small hands to unscrew it from underneath.
Is this about the only way to do this job or am I missing something I havent found out about yet ??

Thanks in advance

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 82Air-Cooled Westy...Decel Valve

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:36 pm

Robert Berglund wrote:VW installed this simple valve from the BACKSIDE of the firewall....
It does appear to be installed that way. The Bentley cheerfully says if you need a new one "take the old one out and replace it."
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Robert Berglund
Getting Hooked!

Post by Robert Berglund » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Colin.....I showed your reply to my mechanic and he fell to the floor in laughter. Then he got serious..reamed the old screws off in reverse and installed the new one from the front of the firewall with self tapping sheet metal screws...then he started to laugh his ass off again at the reply about the Bently manual. :joker:
He went on and on and on and on at how wrong the Bently is about a lot of things and then proceeded to ask me what I thought. 25 minutes of work ( intellegent work I might add)
What can I say.....I paid him for time and material and went on my merry way.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:42 pm

when i removed my decel valve from my 81 westy I ran into the same question. WHY WHY WHY?

must have made more sense at the factory when other parts were not yet installed?

it wasn't too hard to remove really, but you have to be able to get yourself into a strange position to be able to get your hands up into the right spot.
1979 California Transporter