Engine sounds when heat is on

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Engine sounds when heat is on

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:59 pm

I think I know the answer to this all ready, but I need to check....My engine makes no bad sounds you can hear w/o the heat on....But w/ the heat on it sure sounds like my engine knocks, as in I hear sounds thru the heater ducts that sound like knocking bearings. Is it normal for bad sounds to come out the heater ducts from healthy engines?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Engine sounds when heat is on

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:39 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:I think I know the answer to this all ready, but I need to check....My engine makes no bad sounds you can hear w/o the heat on....But w/ the heat on it sure sounds like my engine knocks, as in I hear sounds thru the heater ducts that sound like knocking bearings. Is it normal for bad sounds to come out the heater ducts from healthy engines?
The healthy tinging of exhaust pulses against the pipes can sound like a knock as it travels up the heater ducts. If you suspect knocking, get back there and take the throttle lever in hand and run the revs up and listen. Once you have assured yourself that the engine is properly glued together, you can relax. The heater accordians from the factory do serve as partial mufflers, if yours are missing the packing, they will transmit a lot more noise.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 pm

Based on your answer I can relax thanks
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.