78 westy piston damage?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

78 westy piston damage?

Post by metric Cwrench » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:57 am

well, i was (am) cleaning parts today while i wait for my orders to arrive. i got out my cylinders, pistons and heads to wash with mineral spirits and/or carb cleaner. i think i may have a problem, and i may need new pistons and cylinders. i had previously measured the p's and c's with old and new rings, finding them within tolerance levels. they have been sequestered in boxes in my garage for a few weeks now. i fear something terrible has happened, as i looked at #1 piston and see things that were not there before. here's what i see:

on the right side, about halfway up the angle of the skirt, is visible a chip missing, or possibly a dent (darker grey area). it is about 1/32" deep on the skirt end, tapering up (in a triangular pattern) to the piston surface, about 1/4" in length.

am i getting new p's and c's now? i think my dad accidentally knocked it around when he was looking for something (he mentioned this later), and i can't rule out completely that i didn't do it myself (although i have been extremely careful, wrapped each piece in newspaper and stored them in boxes labeled for each set).

there is no corresponding damage to cylinder, as i rechecked again. woe is me, i fear...

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

Post by metric Cwrench » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:18 am

could this be filed out? would have to re-balance with other pistons, but could it be done?

is this not as bad as i thought at first? maybe??

advice and help much appreciated.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:23 am

I wouldn't worry to much about that. It doesn't look that big. I would say if there are no high points on the outside that would score the cylinder run it. If there are high points sand until smooth and run it. Is it a dent or chip? If it's just a dent your not going to be off balance enough to worry about sanding a little. It's not going to affect the sealing of the piston, the rings take care of that.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:05 am

That little thing was probably there before you took it apart and it nothing to worry about.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

Post by metric Cwrench » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:24 am

oh, that makes me feel much better. i've already put a lot of $ into this project (most of which have not yet arrived), and was hoping to not have to do new p's and c's also. you can probably relate to how relieved i am to hear this.

somewhere, i have pics of the p's and c's as i removed them and did my initial inspection. the mark is new, not there before. i think it's a dent, i don't see sheared or fractured surfaces that should indicate a chip.

as far as i can tell, there are no protruding points that might interfere with the smooth operation. i'll make sure of that when i get back to working on them (i put that on hold after seeing the mark and fearing the worst).

related question: how have others gotten thru that oil varnish build-up? i've been soaking the parts in mineral spirits for a while, then using shop towel to wipe off some of the varnish. much still remains, and i wonder if there are other means of cleaning them up.

thanks so much for the help

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:38 am

carb cleaner will remove that varnish much better than mineral spirits.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

Post by metric Cwrench » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:47 am

i didn't even think of using the carb cleaner. i'm a dummy sometimes...

got plenty of that lying around, will try it out this evening. got myself set up in a comfy chair, washin' tub, and throw in a movie. pleasant times...

i'll report back with the results, thanks again!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:11 pm

I would look close at the cylinder/case mating surface. This dent could have been made by bumping against the open hole. If there is a bump on the mating surface you will need to (very carefully) smooth it back down so the surface is flat.
2 cents
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....