Rear bumper removal - is it necessary?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Rear bumper removal - is it necessary?

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:46 am

Pulling my engine - '72. Is rear bumper removal absolutely necessary? Last night, I couldn't seem to get a couple of the bolts free. If I have to have the bumper off, I'll find a way, but if it is just a formality, my knuckles would prefer that I leave it alone.

The bus is on jack stands with the tires about 3 inches off the ground - will that give me enough clearance??
-'72 Westy-

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Rear bumper removal - is it necessary?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:50 am

Oregon72 wrote:Pulling my engine - '72. Is rear bumper removal absolutely necessary? Last night, I couldn't seem to get a couple of the bolts free. If I have to have the bumper off, I'll find a way, but if it is just a formality, my knuckles would prefer that I leave it alone.

The bus is on jack stands with the tires about 3 inches off the ground - will that give me enough clearance??
It is not at all necessary.

I recommend removing the 15mm bell housing bolts, above clutch lever and starter respectively, and dropping the engine and trans as a unit for the first 6-8" or so, then support the transaxle, and slide engine out from under the apron just as easy as you please.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:58 am

With the early bays, is it OK to remove the complete bumper assembly including the brackets? Previously I removed the bumper only but now have splash pans.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

dhoch14
Old School!

Re: Rear bumper removal - is it necessary?

Post by dhoch14 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Oregon72 wrote:Pulling my engine - '72. Is rear bumper removal absolutely necessary? Last night, I couldn't seem to get a couple of the bolts free. If I have to have the bumper off, I'll find a way, but if it is just a formality, my knuckles would prefer that I leave it alone.

It is not at all necessary.

I recommend removing the 15mm bell housing bolts, above clutch lever and starter respectively, and dropping the engine and trans as a unit for the first 6-8" or so, then support the transaxle, and slide engine out from under the apron just as easy as you please.
Colin
From MY experience, it has been easier to remove 4 bolts that hold the bumper on to gain more clearance, rather than raising the engine higher. Not going against OmniColin, just speaking from experience.

If it is hard to get your bumper off, then it might be easier to jack the bus higher. For what it's worth, you won't know the clearance until you get the engine dropped. You might have to raise the bus higher to get it out. BE CAREFUL NOT to raise one side too high. Make sure you go back and forth. Ask me how I know.
:blackeye:

don't listen to hammie and these Type 1 apron removing guys either. They are "special". :)
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am

What a blast to remove that apron and NOT jack up the bus, watch the engine just roll back. What a great design.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat