earlier exhaust VS later exhaust

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

earlier exhaust VS later exhaust

Post by upnorthman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:26 pm

I talked to Colin last year about exhaust on mine and replacing parts that are bad. Colin was talking about how the earlier exhaust is easier to acquire parts for. What?

I thought I would start a thread on this. I really don't have time to start researching this.

So I can put an older exhaust on my 76 and get the heat working and all that jazz for cheaper/easier? What parts are tough to get for a 76 exhaust?

Thanks everyone!
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 pm

here is a copy of correspondence with Ken at thebusco back in 05 when I was resurrecting the burned out hulk we now call Buster.

Bill,

okay here we go (surprise) I think I found everything.

item :
page 13
#1 forward heat tube, USED L & R, $10 ea = $20
#4 heat exchanger, USED, L & R, $50 ea =$100
#5 blower duct, USED, L & R , $10 ea =$20
#18 cover plate, USED, L&R, $5 ea =$10
#20 exhaust gasket, NEW, x2, $5 ea =$10
#3 exhaust port seal rings, NEW, x4, $2.50 ea=$10

page 20
#3 lower left tin, USED, $10 =$10
#5 lower right tin,USED, $10 =$10

not shown:
forward left tin,USED,$10 =$10
forward right tin, USED, $10 =$10
heat control box, USED, L & R ,$25 ea =$50

pretty sure that is it ?? total: = $260 (plus shipping/handling)

On the shipping, I'm estimating : $40 to ship pair of heat exchangers, UPS ground , 35LBS
$20 to ship everything else, UPS ground, 12 lbs

So . . . grand total: $320

I take checks, money orders, or PayPal, my account: kenm@thebusco.com

Ken

Ken Madson <kenm@thebusco.com> wrote:

Bill,

Good talking to you the other day.

I'm not sure how many of the pieces you need , that I have?

IF . you have the "Bentley Publishing" shop manual for buses 68-79, look on page 13 of the "engine and clutch" section.

You will need pieces 1,4, and 5 for each side. Also on page 20 of the same section you will need pieces 2 and 5.

I just moved, so things are pretty messed up, I should have the heat boxes, (piece 4) for both sides. The rest I'll have to keep looking.

Regards,
Ken Madson

Ken, sorry it's taken so long to respond but winter got in the way! Looking at pg 13 engine and clutch I do need 1,4 and 5 each side, is #18 automatically included? If not I'll need that also along with the heater contol flaps which I can't find in the Bentley.On pg 20 I'll need 3 and 5. I think that #2 is the front tin. I think that there might be two pieces that go between the bottom cylinder tins and the front tin or is the front tin different between the 72-74 and my 76? Anyway I'd like to get this stuff ordered,body work is moving along and the engine/tranny gotta come out soon. Do you have new gaskets and seals # 3 and 20 on pg 13? Thanks Bill.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Re: earlier exhaust VS later exhaust

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 pm

upnorthman wrote:What parts are tough to get for a 76 exhaust?
The lower engine tins. Took me a year after the conversion before I found a set.

Ken@TheBusCo is the way to go.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:23 am

LiveonJG wrote:
upnorthman wrote:What parts are tough to get for a 76 exhaust?
The lower engine tins. Took me a year after the conversion before I found a set.

Ken@TheBusCo is the way to go.

-John
Although you may have to email him 20 times before possibly getting a response from Ken.

Chris at Busted Bus is a better way to go, imho.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:57 am

poptop tom wrote:Although you may have to email him 20 times before possibly getting a response from Ken.

I'm sorry to hear some folks are having trouble getting a response from him. I've always had fantastic experiences dealing with Ken. The next time I talk to him, I'll let him know at least a couple of people have mentioned that it's been tough getting in touch with him. Perhaps his spam filter is a little too efficient or something.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:01 am

dtrumbo wrote:
poptop tom wrote:Although you may have to email him 20 times before possibly getting a response from Ken.

I'm sorry to hear some folks are having trouble getting a response from him. I've always had fantastic experiences dealing with Ken. The next time I talk to him, I'll let him know at least a couple of people have mentioned that it's been tough getting in touch with him. Perhaps his spam filter is a little too efficient or something.
I've found you need to be persistent. I think it goes a bit smoother if you are a repeat customer, but the initial contact can be challenging.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:14 am

LiveonJG wrote:... I think it goes a bit smoother if you are a repeat customer ...
As one, I just shot him an e-mail letting him know of the situation. I'll report back his response.
- Dick

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Ken's response:
Ken Madson at The Bus Company wrote: I am busy, but I do try to reply, even if to say, sorry nothing.

My ISP does have a pretty aggressive spam filter and I often find messages the next day in the file.

I get a quarantine folder every morning that I have to manually look through for subject matter or addresses I recognize.

usually several dozen to go through, but I do look at it.

Now and then I think I do get blocked, one time I was getting dozens of "unable to deliver" messages (that I had not sent)

checked with my ISP and they said they couldn't do anything about it, (something about courtesy among ISPs? not blocking each other?)

recently I had an inquiry from my buddy/competitor, Busted Bus, wondering if I was okay, cause a customer mentioned that I hadn't got

back to them. I checked my sent files, I had replied the next day. "we" sort of worked on a quote together (BustedBus and me), he/they

quoted the customer a price, a week later I received the same exact inquiry from the customer that I had received two weeks previous.

this interweb thing, still haven't figured it all out.

Thanks again,

Ken
- Dick

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:20 am

dtrumbo wrote:Ken's response:
Ken Madson at The Bus Company wrote: I am busy, but I do try to reply, even if to say, sorry nothing.

My ISP does have a pretty aggressive spam filter and I often find messages the next day in the file.

I get a quarantine folder every morning that I have to manually look through for subject matter or addresses I recognize.

usually several dozen to go through, but I do look at it.

Now and then I think I do get blocked, one time I was getting dozens of "unable to deliver" messages (that I had not sent)

checked with my ISP and they said they couldn't do anything about it, (something about courtesy among ISPs? not blocking each other?)

recently I had an inquiry from my buddy/competitor, Busted Bus, wondering if I was okay, cause a customer mentioned that I hadn't got

back to them. I checked my sent files, I had replied the next day. "we" sort of worked on a quote together (BustedBus and me), he/they

quoted the customer a price, a week later I received the same exact inquiry from the customer that I had received two weeks previous.

this interweb thing, still haven't figured it all out.

Thanks again,

Ken
LOL! That person was me! And I had never received those responses! My apologies to Ken! I guess MY spam filter is a little too aggressive! :blackeye:
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"