1.25/1.4 ratio rockers?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bean5446
Getting Hooked!

1.25/1.4 ratio rockers?

Post by bean5446 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:33 pm

What's that all about? I understand what it does, but is it worth it? I've searched with no luck, sorry if this topic has been covered. On vanagon.com 1.25 ratio rockers were mentioned as a way to get a bit more acceleration from a WBX andI've found some for about $80-140. Is it noticeable at all or should I take that money and put it into something more worthwhile?

b
Bean
1980 Volvo 245 DL, Omar, 397000 miles.
-------------------------------------------------
1987 Vanagon Syncro, Syncro, re-homed.
1984 Vanagon GL Totoro, re-homed.
-------------------------------------------------
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. - T.S. Eliot

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 pm

Ratio rockers mean you need to refigure rocker geometry, which will mean you need to measure for new pushrods, which means you'll have to study up on it. Then you have to hope you have it figured out correctly when you cut new pushrods to length. If you don't get it right and catch it in time all it will cost you is either a new set of pushrods to try again or you can decide the ratio rockers you just bought are now paper weights. If you don't catch it in time you will need new valve guides installed in your heads. All for an improvement you may not even feel.

That was my experience. I didn't figure it out in time.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1.25/1.4 ratio rockers?

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 am

bean5446 wrote:What's that all about? I understand what it does, but is it worth it? I've searched with no luck, sorry if this topic has been covered. On vanagon.com 1.25 ratio rockers were mentioned as a way to get a bit more acceleration from a WBX andI've found some for about $80-140. Is it noticeable at all or should I take that money and put it into something more worthwhile?

b
As part of a performance upgrade package, they can make sense. As a Fling Some Technology At The Wall And See What Happens, no, I do not think you will see much improvement with a stock cam and stock intake.
Ratio rockers are just another method to get more air into the engine, along with high-lift camshafts (with attendant higher stress on the lifters and cam lobes) and ported heads and manifolds. Ratio rockers can serve as "virtual" high lift cam lobes without the downside, BUT you have valves now opening precariously close to the piston in some engine configurations.

I just drove a car from New York to Atlanta at fully-loaded old-microbus with-a-burned-valve speeds, and found it extremely relaxing so long as I did not make eye contact with anyone.

I think it is a good idea to ask yourself in the privacy of your own mind what the hell does 25% more power in a Vanagon really mean to you in the grand scheme of highway dynamics. As I drove the BobD bus in Atlanta for a couple of days, I found that I drove it like I always drive a VW bus even if it had 20% more torque than my battleaxe Road Warrior.
Powha Is State Of Mind
Colifucious
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Powha Is State Of Mind
Colifucious
Ain't that the truth..... In my Westy, I'm happy to cruise the interstate in the right lane at 60-65mph and watch the rest of the loonies battle it out. In my New Beetle, I'm one of those loonies wanting to run 80mph or more with the big dogs. Almost a Jekyll & Hyde kinda thing!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 am

vwlover77 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Powha Is State Of Mind
Colifucious
Ain't that the truth..... In my Westy, I'm happy to cruise the interstate in the right lane at 60-65mph and watch the rest of the loonies battle it out. In my New Beetle, I'm one of those loonies wanting to run 80mph or more with the big dogs. Almost a Jekyll & Hyde kinda thing!
It was lap kitten to full moon Werewolf for me when I was sprung free of the BMW's bad wheel bearing in Atlanta. I adjust to the car underneath me. When in a VW bus, I have no desire to whip its drivetrain, I know it is working plenty hard enough. The BMW on the other hand was just puttering-in-a-parking lot at 55 mph. That was wrong, it LIKES 80 mph. Even so, I still accelerate so deliberately in the BMW (after thirty years of bus) that impatient people get surprised by my lacksidaisical double-clutch between 1st and 2nd. I yell out the window as they pass "I have the original sychronizers on this Getrag gearbox at 221,000 miles, hey get back here I am not done talking to you." I get hoarse in urban traffic.
Colin :alien:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:22 am

hey bean, if you are interested in all things WBX call Rocky Jennings. He is expensive but he is at the cutting edge of WBX schtuff. Even a call to see what he has to say would be well worth the time.

Colin, if you come thru this area you should stop by and see his shop.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:48 am

spiffy wrote:hey bean, if you are interested in all things WBX call Rocky Jennings. He is expensive but he is at the cutting edge of WBX schtuff. Even a call to see what he has to say would be well worth the time.

Colin, if you come thru this area you should stop by and see his shop.
I can do that. 18 June 2009 15:42 to 15:47 hours.
:flower: