1981 Vanagon - Removing the valve keepers

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vanagonvw
Getting Hooked!

1981 Vanagon - Removing the valve keepers

Post by vanagonvw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Sometimes, I am not sure where the best forum to post my questions. I am the slow moving, broken down guy with the 81 vanagon who thought sure he wouldn't mind rebuilding his engine in the dead of winter, so long as it was in the garage. I was wrong :-) I know longer like cold......

Now that the temps are finally getting above 40, here we go again. I did the Autozone loaner for the valve spring compressor. Want to take the valves out, give them a good look, check the spring heights, seats, whatever I can do for free, lap em, and put em back in. I have no reason to think there are any serious problems.

Anyway....

I cannot get the valve keepers out. The spring is as compressed as its gonna be, I have the valve pressed up into the seat as far as it will go, the keepers look like they should fall out, but no matter what I pull on them with, I cannot get them out. Done this before in bigger, V8 engines, and usually a small pair of pliers gets the job done.

Can any of you 'battle scarred engine experts' toss a few hints as to what is a good way to approach this? Its so close to coming out, I had to walk away in frustration. Magnets, pliers, tiny screw drivers, nothing works, so far. Never seen a VW keeper, so is there something at the bottom of it that I don't know about and need to deal with?

Sounds simple enough, but from where I sit, the only thing that would make it go easy, is one more turn on the spring being compressed, but I cannot get down in there with the compressor I have. Do I need a fancy, special VW spring compressor, or just more perseverance?

Been away a while, I missed all the words of wisdom that have since been passed around :-) Its almost fifty degrees today, and even tho there is snow on the way for the rest of the week, and month, I have the 'bug' again, and would love to finish this up in a month, if for no other reason than to get me out of your guy's hair, and to be able to send along a heart felt "thank you" after I get it up and running on the road. Looking forward to that day.

Always, thank you for your time, and the space here.

John

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Removing the valve keepers

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 pm

vanagonvw wrote:Sometimes, I cannot get the valve keepers out.
It is a tight fit. Put a little block of wood or a socket directly under the valve so you can actually lean down on the compressed spring/retainer/valve spring compressor tool. Make sure the compressor leg is down as far as you can get it to go along the ramp of the spring. Tighten the compressor carefully and thoroughly. Bend the assembly to the side and use your telescopic magnet to pluck a half out. Now unbend and rotate the remaining half to where the first one was, bend the assembly and pluck the other half out.
Reassembly is equally annoying. Push down and sideways while you tickle the first half down into the seat of the retainer. Wiggle the compressed spring/retainer while futzing the keeper half into the grooves. Straighten the assembly so you can allow the keeper half to move. Rotate the keeper to the inaccessible side and the final half is the pain in the neck.

There are better compressor tools out there that easily compress the spring and retainer well out of the way. Take breaks, go slow, be happy, dammit.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vanagonvw
Getting Hooked!

Post by vanagonvw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote:the assembly so you can allow the keeper half to move. Rotate the keeper to the inaccessible side and the final half is the pain in the neck.

There are better compressor tools out there that easily compress the spring and retainer well out of the way. Take breaks, go slow, be happy, dammit.
Colin
Thanks Colin. So long as I know its a pain, for those who know what they are doing, I am good with that, and can live with it. :-) Just like to be sure I am going at it right, and not doing something way off line.

Can I bug you more, and ask what kind of solvent I should use to clean up the valves? They are not really as bad as I would have thought, but would still like to smooth the surface and get as much good out of the job as I can. Plus, I have to clean the face of the valve, to get the lapping tool to hold onto it unless I just turn the top of the valve stem instead. (yuck)

I'm happy. I like the work. Its the cold and lack of funds that make this the pita it has become.

Much obliged for your wisdom, and encouragement. I'd have pitched the van long ago if it wasn't for the great community that always steps up and helps.

John

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:32 am

vanagonvw wrote:what kind of solvent I should use to clean up the valves?
I use GumOut carb spray and a razor blade to get the carbon chunks off the neck of the valve, and a sponge with the scrubber pad on one side to clean the stem and face surfaces. Exhaust valves get replaced if they have over 50-100K miles. No fooling around there. Manley stainless steel or factory VW.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles