Looking for some tires.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: Looking for some tires.

Post by tristessa » Thu May 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Westy78 wasn't too thrilled with his 'kooks last I heard, and I don't think Ruckman was too enthralled with them either. I've got no experience with 'em, never run a set.

Mike, check Industrial Tire in NE Portland. I saw the BFGs there last summer when I was getting a set of tires on the Mercedes, and the LT195's come up on the "shop for tires" part of their website (http://www.industrialtire.com/shop-for- ... 34557.aspx). They didn't have the tires I wanted on the shelf but had a set there in about half an hour (just enough time to grab a quick lunch), didn't rape me on the price and sent a "thank you for being a customer" card in the mail a couple of weeks later. I didn't think anyone did that anymore...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Thu May 24, 2012 8:56 pm

The 16 inch wheels look nice, but can't afford it at this point.

I have a email in with a guy at Industrial Tire - thanks.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu May 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Kubelwagen wrote:The 16 inch wheels look nice, but can't afford it at this point.
I looked at my Visa balance after ordering those wheels. Apparently, I can't afford it either. I wasn't going to do it, but I've spent the last couple of days trying to get tires, and the answer comes out to this:

You can pay $125 p/tire plus tax/install with a 2 day wait. That's for a 185/14C (Hankook RA08's for example)
You can pay MORE than $125 plus tax/install with a 2 day wait, if you want something other than the Hankooks
You can pay the same price for internet tires, delivery, and then pay install. 2+ day wait

And that's with the what, 9 tires that you can buy?

Truthfully, I'd have rather had 15 in", but,

1. I didn't want alloy wheels at $150 per wheel
2. I didn't want to search around locally for wheels from Mercedes/other autos that have a not-quite-OEM fit
3. I need tires now
4. I haven't been that thrilled with a D rated 185/14 tire

So off to debt land I go... at least now I have a reason to get up and go to work tomorrow...

Michael L

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri May 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Lanval wrote:at least now I have a reason to get up and go to work tomorrow...
You mean besides the personal satisfaction you get from guiding and shaping eager young minds?

FWIW, I have the Nokian Hakka Cs in the 185R14 size. Quite like them, but I don't expect slot-car cornering out of them.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Lanval wrote:at least now I have a reason to get up and go to work tomorrow...
You mean besides the personal satisfaction you get from guiding and shaping eager young minds?

FWIW, I have the Nokian Hakka Cs in the 185R14 size. Quite like them, but I don't expect slot-car cornering out of them.
Well, I would've said, "twisting and warping them" but yeah ~ that too. You don't often get a real sense of accomplishment; most just pass through, on their way to somewhere else and little more comes of it. Once in awhile a relationship becomes special, and that's what you live for. The chance to give someone a hand up on the way to their dream/s.

My first ever history student is now a creative talent on the Colbert Report; what a treasure it's been to know and have an influence on him as he's grown and matured.

We'll see how it goes; I probably should've just stuck with the BF Goodrich tire, at half the price. I've never been thrilled by the 14in wheel though, so maybe I'll like it. If not, I'll just turn around and unload the wheels later. If I'd had my preference, I would've gotten the 15in Mefro, but Van Cafe said not until June or July. Since I can see the white threads on my front driver's-side tire, I figured I couldn't wait, and didn't want to buy another set of 14" tires, especially at 600 for a set of 4. It's ridiculous that the 14" BFGs are more expensive than the 235/65/17 XL Yokohama Geolanders that I just put on our Volvo XC 90. Seriously.

Best,

Michael L

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Lanval wrote: We'll see how it goes; I probably should've just stuck with the BF Goodrich tire, at half the price. I've never been thrilled by the 14in wheel though, so maybe I'll like it. If not, I'll just turn around and unload the wheels later. If I'd had my preference, I would've gotten the 15in Mefro, but Van Cafe said not until June or July. Since I can see the white threads on my front driver's-side tire, I figured I couldn't wait, and didn't want to buy another set of 14" tires, especially at 600 for a set of 4. It's ridiculous that the 14" BFGs are more expensive than the 235/65/17 XL Yokohama Geolanders that I just put on our Volvo XC 90. Seriously.
I had Nokian Hakkapillata snow tires on my Volvo 240 back home in Canada. They are the bomb for winter driving. I'm expecting equally good results from the Hakka Cs. Nokian makes really good tires. Equal to Michelins in my estimation. If you do decide they're not for you, shoot me a message.

XC90, eh? Got the T6? Replaced the transmission yet? :cherry:

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Fri May 25, 2012 9:25 pm

May have found some "six month old" tires on Craigslist. We'll see. If as advertised I will be saving up for the BFG tires.

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Fri May 25, 2012 9:35 pm

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/3038175285.html

Thoughts? Given my budget, I'm thinking these might well get me right on through the summer.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri May 25, 2012 10:07 pm

If they're in as good of shape as they look in the pics and they actually *are* six months old (give or take a year) it's not a bad deal. C-rated tires (1521 lbs), a little taller than stock so you might lose some "zip" .. which you've got so much of to spare, right? :lol:

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-T ... eries.aspx
http://www.colonialtirema.com/shop-for- ... 06000.aspx
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sat May 26, 2012 8:55 am

Ya suppose "C" is enough for my big old hightop?

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat May 26, 2012 10:48 am

Kubelwagen wrote:http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/3038175285.html

Thoughts? Given my budget, I'm thinking these might well get me right on through the summer.
They should work, I would think... Les Schwab doesn't have the best reputation for putting tires on Vanagons, but these look OK. You can read more about tires here:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Tires.html

In general, I'd be worried about age first. Google the way to check a tire's mfg date, and check that first. Otherwise, 6 ply/C-rated was OEM on both the transporter and the vanagon, I believe.

Best,

Michael L

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat May 26, 2012 10:51 am

SlowLane wrote:
Lanval wrote: We'll see how it goes; I probably should've just stuck with the BF Goodrich tire, at half the price. I've never been thrilled by the 14in wheel though, so maybe I'll like it. If not, I'll just turn around and unload the wheels later. If I'd had my preference, I would've gotten the 15in Mefro, but Van Cafe said not until June or July. Since I can see the white threads on my front driver's-side tire, I figured I couldn't wait, and didn't want to buy another set of 14" tires, especially at 600 for a set of 4. It's ridiculous that the 14" BFGs are more expensive than the 235/65/17 XL Yokohama Geolanders that I just put on our Volvo XC 90. Seriously.
I had Nokian Hakkapillata snow tires on my Volvo 240 back home in Canada. They are the bomb for winter driving. I'm expecting equally good results from the Hakka Cs. Nokian makes really good tires. Equal to Michelins in my estimation. If you do decide they're not for you, shoot me a message.

XC90, eh? Got the T6? Replaced the transmission yet? :cherry:
No, we got the 2.5 Turbo for just that reason. I'm an old hand at Volvos (owning a 240 in grad school is what forced me to start wrenching...) and the best Volvo shop in OC is nearby (http://www.swedishasian.com/); I went and asked them about what to look for, and got the rundown on various issues, what I should pay, etc. Steve is an outstanding resource, and they now work on my vanagon too, when I don't/can't work on it myself.

As for the tires, I'm sure they're fine. In my silliness (you can take the boy out of the country, but... etc.) I would prefer something more "masculine" like the BFG All Terrain, but it's likely that the Nokians are exactly what I need. When I talked to the guys at Van Cafe, they asked me how often I was off-road, because they do offer a more aggressive tread in the Nokian. I owned that it was rare; I live in So-Cal, so off-road here means 30 ft of gravel in the parking space for the campground that has paved roads and hot showers. The Van Cafe rep said, "Buy tires for the 90% of the driving you do, not the 10%." So that's what I did.

As a side note, when I put tires on the Volvo, the older tires were 265/60/17 and the tire shop put on 235/65/17s. I noticed a considerable difference in how the car handled/drove, so I went back and asked them about the change, as I'd expected to get the same size when I asked for replacements. I hadn't specified tire size, though, I had said that I wanted OEM size. Turns out the 235s are the OEM size, and jeebus does the Volvo handle/drive better. With the AWD those big ass 265s always felt grabby/scrubbing around corners and the like.

That response makes me just a tad worried about the tire shift on the vanagon, but it seems that most people are happier with the change, so I expect I will be too. I've never felt totally safe on the little 14" 185s, though to be fair, that may be as much/more about the suspension than about the tires. My brother has a super-rare 1981 264 GL, which felt sloppy and soft when he got it, and he reports that new shocks makes it feel, literally, like driving a Euro sport sedan (which is mostly what it was; with a dash of lux, 1981 style). This makes me think that new shocks and bushings, coupled with the new tires, should give the van a stable, comfortable ride.

I'll let you know; if the tires aren't my bag, I'll be happy to offer up to you...

Best,

Michael L

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sat May 26, 2012 11:57 am

Well I picked them up. They aren't new, but I they're better than what I've got and will get me to Maupin and back and up the hills a few times this summer. I think I'll start saving and getting the BFG's one at a time over the next several months.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Lanval wrote:I've never felt totally safe on the little 14" 185s,
Oh dear me, those factory engineers and their silly little oversights . . . :blackeye:

Here, let's lap Vanagons around the 200 foot skidpad.
Vanagon #1 has factory 185s.
Vanagon #2 has manly 235s

Look!

Vanagon #1 breaks away in a controlled slide at .67g (an outstanding number for a van)
Vanagon #2 peels inwards and flips the f**k over, not too manly seeing the driver try to pull himself out of the driver's door "sunroof".
Colin :alien:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat May 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Colin wrote:Look!
:bounce: Where? :bounce: Where? :bounce:

- Terry Pratchett