Steering Damper replacement (Broke a bolt!)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Steering Damper replacement (Broke a bolt!)

Post by upnorthman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:29 pm

I swear that the thing was moving. It must have been my impatience. It hurts pretty bad when your wrist hits something metal at a high rate of speed. Ice is helping. I am finding a lot of rusty bolts! I have a feeling I will be spending the winter under the bus.......

[albumimg]3055[/albumimg]

I noticed that there is a bolt on the back side. Now the question, is the mount that holds the damper to the beam threaded? If it is not I should be able to just tap that bolt loose right? I don't want to drill the remains out, as the angle makes it so my drill will not work in this situation. I would need a different drill to do that.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:02 pm

I just pulled mine; I'm doing a similar job. I think that nut (on the back, inside) is welded in place. Mine did not come out, just the bolt through the steering damper.
Sorry about that, but I gotta ask, where did you get your replacement steering damper?, mine is shot.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Runamuck Bus wrote:...where did you get your replacement steering damper?, mine is shot.
Bus Depot, 25 bucks, Boge.

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Yup the Depot.
I did finally get the remains of the bolt out and I don't know how but there were still threads that were usable. I did not trust them though and managed to put another nut back there and welded it in place just in case!
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?