Please locate the strut in this picture - 1974 Super Beetle

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Please locate the strut in this picture - 1974 Super Beetle

Post by Sluggo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Still getting familiar with Beetles. I had the struts, strut bearings, wheel bearings & rear wheel bearings replaced a while ago. I supplied them with 2 NOS front struts still in the box. Today when I was walking to the car the wheel was turned all the way out and I noticed the strut was old, black & greasy. Not blue & shiny like the ones I provided. I want to make sure this part is the actual strut and not another cover before I shoot this mechanic.

I know the part on top is a plastic sleeve/cover. Is the part that's circled (under the spring) the actual strut?

[albumimg]2543[/albumimg]
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:39 pm

Yes, but when I replaced the struts on my '71 SB, the replacement was a cartridge insert that went inside the strut tube. All the shiny new bits are hidden inside. IIRC, there's a threaded cap on the top of the tube holding everything together.

Did the blue shiny thing you gave them have a stamped steel support for the bottom of the coil spring? If not, what you had was a strut insert.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Yes, but when I replaced the struts on my '71 SB, the replacement was a cartridge insert that went inside the strut tube. All the shiny new bits are hidden inside. IIRC, there's a threaded cap on the top of the tube holding everything together.

Did the blue shiny thing you gave them have a stamped steel support for the bottom of the coil spring? If not, what you had was a strut insert.
It was an insert. Should have said that. Good to know. I really didn't want to go through this with them. It was Bob Costa Enterprises and this was the first time I had work done since Bob passed away. I love Linda (his Wife) and didn't want to tell her that her mechanic screwed me.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------