Tires

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Tires

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:22 pm

I just replaced my tires with - Hankook Radial RA08 185 R14C. Oh my!

Any other thoughts? Or are these the best tires ever!!!!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:25 pm

I have enjoyed mine thoroughly, great tire for the price.

They are holding up very well.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:32 pm

tires-easy.com? Great price, very fast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:39 am

I got mine through Bus Depot.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:32 am

In the few miles I've put on mine they seem to be a great tire. Smoother rolling and a little quieter than the Kirkland LT tires they replaced. I got the smokin deal through my dad who is a GM parts dept. manager for $263 mounted and balanced.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:55 pm

I hear that buddy. After I got my Michelins I'll never look back. It was a toss up between what you got and these Michelins. It was splitting hairs. So I tossed a coin.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:51 pm

The michelins definitely win the 'cool looking' points though.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:49 pm

Hippopotabus wrote: After I got my Michelins I'll never look back.
Man! With those seats and these tires, you have some sort of sleeper VW panzer.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:31 pm

you have some sort of sleeper VW panzer.
Hopefully after the Ball Joint work with fresh wheel bearings, it feel like a King Tiger.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Well I just had my Vredestein Comtrac 205/65/15s mounted on these GoWesty alloys and boy are they nice to drive with. Load index 102 running 30psi up front and 44 psi in the rear. Windwag greatly diminished. This thing handles really well.

Previously I had Michelin "The Ones" passenger car tires and they were indeed "weak in the knees" or sidewalls as the case may be (load index 95 30 psi up front & 35 (the max) in the rear).

I should have done this a long time ago.
79 VW Bus

dcketh
I'm New!

Post by dcketh » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:51 pm

I may have screwed up, but I hope not. When I bought my Westy this summer it came with passenger car tires, and "teeny" ones at that (P185/70R14). I was planning to buy new Hankooks or Coopers this fall after I got an engine in the bus, but then a Vanagon driver in our local club put these up for sale. He had put 2k-3k miles on them and then decided to switch to 15" alloys. The price was right, they came with the rims (which I wanted another set of anyway) and even though they are passenger car tires (P225/70R14) they are rated 1523#@44psi. To be painfully honest, I didn't notice that they aren't light truck tires till I got them home because I had LT235/75R15 Liberators on my truck a few years back and liked them, and I didn't even think to check whether they also came in a passenger car version. The seller said they rode great, alot better than the "car tires" that were on his Vanagon when he bought it. Hopefully I won't regret it, either way I'll try to remember to report back here.

[albumimg]2208[/albumimg]
~ Dan ~
---
'66 Beetle Deluxe
'71 Westy Hardtop

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:27 am

I would carefully check tire clearence. Vanagens have more room in the wheelwells. Good luck!

dcketh
I'm New!

Post by dcketh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:17 am

bus71 wrote:I would carefully check tire clearence. Vanagens have more room in the wheelwells. Good luck!
Thanks. Perhaps I'll go home tonight and throw them on, and see how they fit. By my calculations, they should be about 3/4" taller than 185R14s which will only extend 3/8" higher into the wheel well, but thay are about 1-9/16" wider which will extend half of that, or little more than 3/4" deeper into the wheel well. :dontknow:
~ Dan ~
---
'66 Beetle Deluxe
'71 Westy Hardtop

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:18 am

"What's the clearance, Clarence?"

You should be fine. The '71 buses (the best VW bus ever made) have extra-wide wheel wells, unlike their predecessors.

And, for what it's worth, back in the dark ages (when I drove a '64 Sundial Camper and had shoulder-length hair) I always drove on recapped, passenger-car, radial tires. When VW buses roamed the earth and were still new, I only knew one person who used the LT tires (Continentals) and we all thought that he was weird.

Yes, ideally you want to be on stiffened sidewalled LT tires, but plenty of us old doofusses drove for years on inappropriate tires with no blow-outs.

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:00 pm

OK, I confess, back in the day, as the kids say, we used to buy tires dirt cheap, recaps too. If you bought 4 with non matching tread, they were even cheaper. We drove all over the US, off road, creekbeds, etc. No blowouts. I guess I'm just chicken now! :cyclopsani: