71 Super Beetle Rear Diagonal Arms Creaking

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

71 Super Beetle Rear Diagonal Arms Creaking

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 am

The diagonal arm pivot points on my 71 Super Beetle make a creaking noise as the arms move up and down. It's quite loud and annoying in the cabin.

Can these bushings be lubricated, or is this a sign that the bushings are worn out and require replacement? (The car has ~95K original miles)
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 71 Super Beetle Rear Diagonal Arms Creaking

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 am

vwlover77 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 am
The diagonal arm pivot points on my 71 Super Beetle make a creaking noise as the arms move up and down. It's quite loud and annoying in the cabin.

Can these bushings be lubricated, or is this a sign that the bushings are worn out and require replacement? (The car has ~95K original miles)
There is not supposed to be any motion between the bushing and the diagonal arm nor the bushing and the inner sleeve. All diagonal arm movement is supposed to be absorbed by the rubber itself so that there are "no moving parts" to wear out. Your bushings have "petrified" enough to now allow actual slippage. If you were to lubricate this interface, it would be quieter, yes, but wear would accelerate.

Try to obtain new bushings and try to get them properly pressed into the diagonal arms. Oh, and yes, the rear suspension will have to be disassembled, bigly.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 am
Oh, and yes, the rear suspension will have to be disassembled, bigly.
Ugh. That is what I was afraid of, but it will be worth it to make the rear suspension great again!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:23 am

Hey Don, keep us updated on the process if you would… My mom's bug squeaks bigly from the rear torsion bushings too.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.