Bushings and ball joints

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

83AC
Getting Hooked!

Bushings and ball joints

Post by 83AC » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:31 am

Hey folks,

I'm going to need to replace my front end bushings and ball joints (upper and lower) and am trying to make a decision on which brand and material to purchase as there appear to be a wide variety. I'm not concerned with it being the quietest most unsqueeky ride in the world, but I do want to make sure everything is in good shape and will last appropriately. This is for a 1983 air cooled vanagon, for what it's worth.

Which brands/materials are folks using and why? Any guidance here will be helpful. Some of the upper control arm bushings out there say you don't have to tack weld them. Any thoughts here? Insight? Recommendations on tools and such to definitely have on hand so that I am not having to stop and start and run out for things in the process?

Many thanks,
Anderson
Say what you mean; do what you say.
1983 AC Vanagon camper - Penny Lane

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bushings and ball joints

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:41 am

83AC wrote:Hey folks,

I'm going to need to replace my front end bushings and ball joints (upper and lower) and am trying to make a decision on which brand and material to purchase as there appear to be a wide variety. I'm not concerned with it being the quietest most unsqueeky ride in the world, but I do want to make sure everything is in good shape and will last appropriately. This is for a 1983 air cooled vanagon, for what it's worth.

Which brands/materials are folks using and why? Any guidance here will be helpful. Some of the upper control arm bushings out there say you don't have to tack weld them. Any thoughts here? Insight? Recommendations on tools and such to definitely have on hand so that I am not having to stop and start and run out for things in the process?

Many thanks,
Anderson
Do not replace a ball joint that is not out of spec. Do follow the current accepted practice for bushing replacement. You will have to read up on the Vanagon procedures as found at your favorite Vanagon sites. My only addition is to not tighten suspension bolts through bushings until the car is at correct ride height. True for shocks too. This prevents bushing over-twist.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Bushings and ball joints

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Finally got to install the new balljoint rubber boot on my Westy that was torn. While I had it all apart I also installed grease fitting to flush out the joints top and bottom. Took me about 4 hrs to do the complete job including then greasing the front end. I got the repair boots from Busok in Germany.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/