Question about Vanagon wheels

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Question about Vanagon wheels

Post by Westy78 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 pm

I just sold my set of factory 14" Vanagon alloys that were on my Bus to a guy that has an '82 Vanagon. He called and said that the wheels wouldn't fit over the brake plates. Was there a difference in the early Vanagon wheel size as compared to the later models? He said the wheels he currently had on his Van rubbed on occasion. I'm wondering if he has plus sized wheels and brakes? According to this site there is no difference in early and late model Vanagon wheel specs.

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/volkswagen/vanagon/1982/
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Question about Vanagon wheels

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Westy78 wrote:I just sold my set of factory 14" Vanagon alloys that were on my Bus to a guy that has an '82 Vanagon. He called and said that the wheels wouldn't fit over the brake plates. Was there a difference in the early Vanagon wheel size as compared to the later models? He said the wheels he currently had on his Van rubbed on occasion. I'm wondering if he has plus sized wheels and brakes? According to this site there is no difference in early and late model Vanagon wheel specs.

Wouldn't fit over the brake . . . calipers? drums? Is he familiar with the history on the car? Did it get "upgraded" at some prior point?
The '82 Vanagon had exactly the same braking hardware as the late bays, even the rear self-adjustiung brake shoes were the same shoes, just with that self-adjuster actuator riveted on.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:16 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:I just sold my set of factory 14" Vanagon alloys that were on my Bus to a guy that has an '82 Vanagon. He called and said that the wheels wouldn't fit over the brake plates. Was there a difference in the early Vanagon wheel size as compared to the later models? He said the wheels he currently had on his Van rubbed on occasion. I'm wondering if he has plus sized wheels and brakes? According to this site there is no difference in early and late model Vanagon wheel specs.

Wouldn't fit over the brake . . . calipers? drums? Is he familiar with the history on the car? Did it get "upgraded" at some prior point?
The '82 Vanagon had exactly the same braking hardware as the late bays, even the rear self-adjustiung brake shoes were the same shoes, just with that self-adjuster actuator riveted on.
Colin

Oh, I forgot to update. Yeah he had aftermarket brakes on it. I'm assuming he had plus sized wheels and brakes. So sorry, cash sale, no returns because of aftermarket parts. #-o :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:33 pm

Westy78 wrote: So sorry, cash sale, no returns because of aftermarket parts. #-o :-(
He can wax up your Vanagon alloys a bit and sell them himself.
That's what you do when you buy the wrong thing because you didn't know what you were doing, you turn it into a business opportunity.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote: So sorry, cash sale, no returns because of aftermarket parts. #-o :-(
He can wax up your Vanagon alloys a bit and sell them himself.
That's what you do when you buy the wrong thing because you didn't know what you were doing, you turn it into a business opportunity.
Colin

Exactly. That's pretty much what I told him.