Brake Booster Rebuild?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Brake Booster Rebuild?

Post by RussellK » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:28 am

I've read on TS that it is a good idea to get your brake booster rebuilt. Has anyone on here done that for their bus?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:34 am

There's a guy who is supposed to be pretty good at it, charges somewhere around $75.00. Try a Samba search. Apply that number against whatever decent used one you could find at a junk yard.
TheNextTownshend and I rebuilt his on the stoop in Rhode Island. A bit ugly. . . but it worked.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Matt G
I'm New!

Post by Matt G » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Russell,
Look in the Parts Known to be Good section, there'll you'll find the particulars for H&R, the firm in Texas that rebuilds them. I sent mine there, and have no complaints. First rate service, good value for the money.

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I was going to start a new thread; glad I found this. Here is my tale...
With Bentley in hand, I called the Brake Booster guy:
H & R Automotive Parts
10328 Oakwood Dr
Dallas, TX 75217
972-286-5516
Spoke to Ron.
I wanted to ask about the service they performed, specifically regarding the Sealing and Damping ring and the Booster filter. Ron said that these parts are replaced and the booster is reassembled. Ron mentioned that he has been rebuilding boosters for some time. I told him that he has been recommended to the VW community for this service; he was not aware of this but was was appreciative. Also, I asked Ron if I should primer/paint the booster prior to the rebuild - he said '"no,just just send the booster, he would take care of it'"( not direct quote). I cleaned my booster before I shipped it to H&R. Ron called within a couple days - I shipped USPS (cheap) and the booster was ready for return a few days later. Cost, $100 + 15 shipping; over all, I had this part ready-to-go in 7 days.
I'll hope to install soon and I'll post the results, thanks Ron.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Tue May 18, 2010 9:29 am

I'm running one rebuilt by them right now! Only 45 minutes from my house =D>
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

jmstu76
Getting Hooked!

Post by jmstu76 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:03 am

Just spoke with Ron on the Phone. Real quick turn around. He received my booster last night and was calling for payment this morning to send it back.

Here's the bad news. Ron wanted me to post that this month is his last in business. He is shutting his doors Oct. 1 of 2010. He didn't give a reason other than he's been doing this for 31 years.

I asked him if he could recommend anyone else to send these units to.

He gave the name of Prior Re-manufacturing in Dallas Ph. 972-388-1090 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              972-388-1090      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

or Brake and Clutch Supply out of Waco, TX ph. 254-752-4307

I hope this helps and a moderator should probably change the sticky in the brake section.
James
1976 2.0L FI with Hydraulic lifters

Edmond, OK
(405) 623-2191

James Dwan
Getting Hooked!

Post by James Dwan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 am

That's a bummer. Thanks for the info on the other places, at least one is local.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert
'59 23 Window Deluxe

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

That Sucks! They rebuilt the booster in my '72 and did a wonderful job.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:33 pm

They rebuilt my booster in 2006 and it's started leaking again........I wonder if they offer a discount on a second rebuild.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

jmstu76
Getting Hooked!

Post by jmstu76 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:42 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:They rebuilt my booster in 2006 and it's started leaking again........I wonder if they offer a discount on a second rebuild.
You have 15 days to find out
James
1976 2.0L FI with Hydraulic lifters

Edmond, OK
(405) 623-2191

jtauxe
Addicted!

Re: Brake Booster Rebuild?

Post by jtauxe » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:59 am

Is there a new favorite brake booster rebuilder?
I am in need...
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Post by MonoCone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:01 pm

Check with Aeromech on the Samba Bay Windows forums. He uses someone local to him in San Diego to rebuild ones for his clients.
Also, didn't I read that Wolfsburg West (or some other SoCal vendor) is selling new units?
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:27 am

MonoCone wrote: Also, didn't I read that Wolfsburg West (or some other SoCal vendor) is selling new units?
Yes. One Samba user posting a scathing review of the early model. I have not read anything else, but I would be extremely clear what their return policy is before going in.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Re:

Post by Boxcar » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 am

Amskeptic wrote:There's a guy who is supposed to be pretty good at it, charges somewhere around $75.00. Try a Samba search. Apply that number against whatever decent used one you could find at a junk yard.
TheNextTownshend and I rebuilt his on the stoop in Rhode Island. A bit ugly. . . but it worked.
Colin
Are the parts available?
Has a rebuilder of high esteem surfaced?
It seems I am having a window of time opportunity with other seasonal bus to dos. Might as well refresh that original booster.
Does anyone have performance/function feedback from their rebuild experience?

While my 9550 cam might be a source of inherently low vacuum#s...booster exhibits a sink soflty to its bottom on pedal's last cms of movement..all the while braking, but requiring faith as progressive resistance of line pressure goes away..almost as if bleeding a cyl..I forget if it got better when I selected N and opened throttle a bit..it did not worsen.
So booster is working still. If rebuilder of high esteem has surfaced (its been 5 years) Packing it off to refresh sounds like good an any case.
Thanks.// Eric
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:40 pm

A couple years ago Rebuilders Enterprises did mine for a '73, they are near Chicago. Did a really nice job.
Also:
http://www.busdepot.com/j18100
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat