Star adjusters

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Star adjusters

Post by Ritter » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:01 pm

So how the hell do you get the gizmo that holds the star adjusters off of the rear brakes? I've got the two bolts out and it seems there's a pin set into the backing plate. I've done the PBlaster and heat. Other suggestions? I've got one star adjuster that just won't come out and figured I might have more success with a bench vise.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:01 pm

For anybody who's interested, the bolt that holds the star doohickey on also fits within the star adjuster. Screw that baby in until you can torque the star adjuster loose. Then apply vice grips to said bolt and hit with hammer. Ah, sweet triumph....

That was the hardest part of redoing the rear brakes.... (except for switching out the rear right brake line--suggestions?)

No if only I could bleed out that air bubble that's making things all spongy....
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:46 am

Ritter wrote:For anybody who's interested, the bolt that holds the star doohickey on also fits within the star adjuster. Screw that baby in until you can torque the star adjuster loose. Then apply vice grips to said bolt and hit with hammer. Ah, sweet triumph....

That was the hardest part of redoing the rear brakes.... (except for switching out the rear right brake line--suggestions?)

No if only I could bleed out that air bubble that's making things all spongy....
Whenever I do a Free The Adjusters job, I soak the area with PB Blaster overnight. I use moly grease upon reassembly. Frequent brake adjustments helps to keep these parts from seizing. . . and it is the right thing to do for your Volkswagen.
Colin :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Colin,

Any suggestions/tricks for the non contortionist to change out that rear right rubber brake line? Try as I might, I just couldn't seem to get both a 13 and 17 mm wrench up in there with room to turn. However, this was the last task of the day and patience was hard to come by.

Thanks.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:29 pm

Ritter wrote:Colin,

Any suggestions/tricks for the non contortionist to change out that rear right rubber brake line? Try as I might, I just couldn't seem to get both a 13 and 17 mm wrench up in there with room to turn. However, this was the last task of the day and patience was hard to come by.

Thanks.
You got a replacement hose that you know is the correct one?
Saw the old hose off. Use a socket or box wrench on the brake hose end, 17mm box or open end wrench over the stub
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
You got a replacement hose that you know is the correct one?
Saw the old hose off. Use a socket or box wrench on the brake hose end, 17mm box or open end wrench over the stub
God damn you're clever. This will, however, go into the next-time-I-have-a-whole-day-to-kill repair category.

Tomorrow I test the new rear brakes. Lunchtime research revealed that the sponge in my brakes was more likely improper adjustment rather than an air bubble. Readjusted this evening and the peddle felt much better.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI