Caliper replacement

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Caliper replacement

Post by Ritter » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 pm

So I was changing the front rubber brake hoses this weekend. The left side went smoothly. The right side, well, the top was great, the bottom didn’t align quite right (and didn’t on the old hose). So, needing just that little millimeter, I tried to bend the metal line from the caliper to the clip. Snap. Off it came at the caliper. So, with minimal swearing, I went in and found that GermanSupply has the pre-bent lines. Ordered one for each side.

Now, while I was down there, I took a gander at the calipers themselves (the right one freezes up and I’m not convinced they work right but thought I’d start with the rubber lines). Is replacement really as easy as disconnecting the brake line and the two large nuts on the back? I figure if they still aren’t working properly after hose replacement, I’ll do the calipers and rotors as they both look like sh!t. Just making contingency plans....
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:36 pm

Yep, just that easy. The bolts are torqued to 90 some ftlbs and can be a PITA to break loose but other than that it's a pretty simple job. The top and bottom bolt is also different so make a note of which goes where. I'd also pull the pads first to make removal of the caliper a little easier. One thing to make sure of is that if you do buy new calipers confirm that the hard line hooks up to the same location as your old ones. The last time I replaced the calipers on my bus the hydraulic line connected to the center of the new caliper instead off to one side like the old one making it so Tristessa who was helping me had to re-bend the lines. Luckily without kinking or breaking.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Thanks for the tip on line placement! I've got time to soak the bolts (still not sure the calipers are bad).
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI