brake lines

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

brake lines

Post by dingo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:19 pm

flexible brake line on front disc system: FAG SCHAFER 1/8 x 4 75 SAE J1401

does the '75' indicate this is the original hose for this Bus ('75) ? It doesnt look in too bad a shape...but the solid line to the caliper sprung a leak...so i thought i would inspect both
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Not sure about the "75". I thought all brake lines and hard lines were the same from 71-79. I say if you are replacing the hard lines to replace the rubber lines as well. I just replaced all the rubber lines on mine, only the rear left line was hard to track down with its male/female ends but I found it no problem at BusDepot. I think you can get the full kit of hard lines for 40 bucks and then each plastic line is about 10-14 bucks a piece.

Don't forget to go pick up a set of flanged wrenches to use for working on the lines, it make a big difference.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:07 pm

I found the flex hose at local FLAP...but my question regarding a replacement solid line...is there a metric vs. US thread thing going on...or are all brake line threads universal ? (I realize there are different sizes)
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:11 pm

from Type2.com:

Be careful of the fittings on the ends - you need to make sure that threads are metric. Also, look closely at the flare on the end of the brake line - there are 2 different types you could find. The type needed on a Volkswagen is known as a "bubble flare". Most American and some other imports use a "double flare" on the end. They are not interchangeable
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

germansupplyscott
Trusted Air-Cooled Parts Vendor

Post by germansupplyscott » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:22 pm

i make the lines between the caliper and the flex line:

http://germansupply.com/xcart/customer/ ... ctid=16990

afaik we are the only source for these. if you have a bubble flaring tool you can make these yourself, however most affordable flaring tools - like the ones you'll find at a flaps - are not very good.

VW Bus-Centric Online Parts Source