72 bus rear brake adjust

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Davala
I'm New!

72 bus rear brake adjust

Post by Davala » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Going to adjust rear drum brakes tomorrow. I lost my cheat sheet on which stars go up and which ones go down. I'd rather not spin the wrong way for awhile and then have to go back. 72 has two stars on the backing plate.

Left side rear: up?
Left side front: down?
Right side rear: down
Right side front: up

Does that sound right or do I have it backwards?
Thanks,
Matt Davala

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: 72 bus rear brake adjust

Post by kreemoweet » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:18 pm

You neglected to mention which way you're turning the adjuster nuts. Personally, I like to just pretend I have x-ray vision and can see the adjuster nuts
in the blocks, with their smooth outside and threaded inside, and the adjuster screws inside them. Since everything in there is right-hand (normal)
threading, it's not to difficult to visualize the result of turning the adjusters up or down. The key is to remember that the adjuster nuts only spin around, they
don't move otherwise. Strings of words, i.e. mnemonics, just do nothing for yers truly.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:42 pm

It is hard to describe adjusting over text. Everyone has a different suggestion. Davala, you'll have to find an explanation that agrees with your combination of spatial reasoning skills, and imaginary physics.

I like to tilt me head on its side and imagine the star as a nut. Tilt your head to use the (red line) as the "base" for the nut. Now "tighten" the star in the orientation of your current noggin. This tightens the brake shoes.

Now, any time you look at a star adjuster, you can "tighten" it in reference to this position to tighten the shoes, and vice-versa.

As it appears:

And now with a tilted head!

Tighten the star to tighten the shoes! Clear as mud? :blackeye:
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Clear as mud, yes, Robbie.

The thing that trips people is that the bolt is what moves longitudinally, the nut remains in place as you rotate it.

Any VW with two adjuster holes next to each other:

Our forum mnemonic is "UP YOURS . . . unless you're right."

Left hole screwdriver handle moves UP . . . this is clockwise as you face the anchor, and it "squirts out" the bolt tightening the shoe.

Right hole screwdriver handle moves DOWN . . . this is counterclockwise as you face the anchor, and it "sucks in" the bolt, loosening your shoes so you can get the drum off.
YMMV,
Colin

Doesn't matter if you are working on the passenger or driver's side of car.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:51 am

"Up yours! Unless you're right". Personally, that was one of the most enjoyable moments of my last IAC visit. I'm certain that my wife thought that I was finally over the top - NUTZ!.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:52 am

Runamuck Bus wrote:"Up yours! Unless you're right". Personally, that was one of the most enjoyable moments of my last IAC visit. I'm certain that my wife thought that I was finally over the top - NUTZ!.
It is like a rude cab driver who is subject to moments of tentativeness . . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:Clear as mud, yes, Robbie.

The thing that trips people is that the bolt is what moves longitudinally, the nut remains in place as you rotate it.

Any VW with two adjuster holes next to each other:

Our forum mnemonic is "UP YOURS . . . unless you're right."

Left hole screwdriver handle moves UP . . . this is clockwise as you face the anchor, and it "squirts out" the bolt tightening the shoe.

Right hole screwdriver handle moves DOWN . . . this is counterclockwise as you face the anchor, and it "sucks in" the bolt, loosening your shoes so you can get the drum off.
YMMV,
Colin

Doesn't matter if you are working on the passenger or driver's side of car.
Colin, not to muddy the waters here...
but did we decide on a Vanagon, with one adjuster hole, that the mnemonic was CCR?
I still see the remnants of Colingreasyfingergraffiti™ on my right rear quarter panel...and I know we weren't talking about John Fogerty's band...
CCR stood for Counter Clockwise (from) Rear, correct? ...as in: "turn the adjuster knob counter clockwise if you are looking at it from the rear"?

thanks,
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White