Timing - Lost my IAC visit notes

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Timing - Lost my IAC visit notes

Post by Ritter » Sun May 15, 2011 4:01 pm

All (or Colin, specifically, about your timing methodology),

I have cleverly filed my IAC visit notes from two years ago in a place that eludes me. I had a strange "idles fine, starts out then dies" thing going on. Checked fuel pressure, fpr and seemed acceptable but the fuel pump is noisy as hell. Think I'll order up a nice Bosh replacement to have on hand. Checked for vacuum leaks with propane and none revealed themselves. So, checked timing and idle. Timing was off a bit. So I adjusted but memory vs. Colin methodology vs. Bentley stymied my progress. On my fan pulley, Colin so nicely painted a single line at TDC and two lines 180 from TDC. And then a dot just to the side of the two lines. I can't for the life of me recall which of the three marks I use for what.

Right now, it's timed to 7.5 at the two lines and seems to run just fine with whatever the earlier problem of dying under load was being resolved. But I'm not sure I did it right. :drunken: And I'm not sure why timing would suddenly be off. I'd just driven 20 or so miles the week before and all seemed well. Thanks to any IACers that can refresh my memory on the marks.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Timing - Lost my IAC visit notes

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Ritter wrote:On my fan pulley, Colin so nicely painted a single line at TDC and two lines 180 from TDC. And then a dot just to the side of the two lines. I can't for the life of me recall which of the three marks I use for what.
Ritter, the double slash marks on the outside surface (closest to us) of the pulley 180* away from the timing marks are for adjusting the valves on #2 and #4.

The single slash on the outside surface of the pulley is for adjusting the valves on #1 and #3.

The timing notch on the inside surface (the one closest to the fan housing) of the pulley I highlighted on each side of the notch (thus two marks) so you can accurately time the engine.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Re: Timing - Lost my IAC visit notes

Post by Ritter » Sun May 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Many thanks. So, I'd best readjust my timing. (I'm not actually 180* out. I think my biggest problem and confusion was that I had the timing light's pick up on the wrong plug wire.) Trying to do from memory once a year. Had to consult the oracle. Again!
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI