Autozone rebuilt alternators

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Autozone rebuilt alternators

Post by Sluggo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:28 am

Got a rebuilt alt from Autozone and installed it. When I hooked up the battery I got a big spark. Something was definitely crossed. Pulled the alt & figured out that the B+ terminals on the rebuilt stick out farther than on the original. This causes them to be just a hair away from the cover plate and when you hook up the power it arcs causing a short. They also have a wider washer on the bottom of the terminals that hits the lip of the cover plate. Cut the terminals back with a hack saw and lined the cover plate with electrical tape along the edges.

The short had also blown out my brand new Bosch Voltage Regulator! I let Autozone know what happened. Luckily the manager was cool and he gave me a new Voltage Regulator. It's a Motorola not a Bosch because they don't carry the Bosch ones. Nice to see someone at least try to make good on these types of mistakes.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Manfred
Old School!

Re: Autozone rebuilt alternators

Post by Manfred » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am

I live near a 24/7 Autozone and go there quite a bit for supplies. I have a local shop that rebuilds alternators near me. But good to know I can get one there and what to look out for. I have bought wheel cylinders from Autozone and have worked fine so far.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:03 am

autozone starters are junk, I wouldn't buy an alt from them. check your yellow pages for a local auto electric rebuilder. less expaensive and better quality.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:44 am

vdubyah73 wrote:autozone starters are junk, I wouldn't buy an alt from them. check your yellow pages for a local auto electric rebuilder. less expaensive and better quality.

Less expensive than $40?!?! I need to check that out. I want to get a 50 amp rebuilt as a 70.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 am

Sluggo wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:autozone starters are junk, I wouldn't buy an alt from them. check your yellow pages for a local auto electric rebuilder. less expaensive and better quality.

Less expensive than $40?!?! I need to check that out. I want to get a 50 amp rebuilt as a 70.
My rebuild was 75 bucks.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I forgot that all the alternators and starters are in the PNW. That makes 'em cheap for you guys. Ordered a starter last spring after price checking around the local flaps. They all had to have them shipped from the PNW.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

onion456
I'm New!

Post by onion456 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 am

x2 on the posts being too long. need to cut them back with a dremel to keep them from shorting out to the cover plate.

i always get alternators and starters from the zone cause theyre cheap, close, and have a warranty to boot. if the thing craps out, go get a new one for free.

however the alt currently in my bus seems to have an output issue- i see voltage rise to 14ish and drop to 12, all day every day. i hope it is the cheap alt and not something else.

ive not had any probs with autosone starters- they seem to work fine.
:rr:
gotta love the smiley variety on this site =D

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:37 pm

onion456 wrote: output issue- i see voltage rise to 14ish and drop to 12, all day
Try a good cleaning and securing of the vehicle's grounds + regulator. Have you replaced the regulator with a solid-state piece o'crap? The alternator warning lamp bulb and socket are part of the excitor circuit and help maintain a consistent output. If the bulb is not secure or if the fuse is crudded up (#12?) then the stator current can fluctuate. Check especially the ground strap connection at the body and at the battery. A tight terminal is not proof of a good connection. Removing the terminal, making it shiny both on the battery post and the respective contact area inside the terminal is called-for ... for both +/- terminals.
Colin
(if no help, you have likely lost a diode in the alternator)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles