'71 - '74Super Beetle Brazilian Gas Tank - Neck Doesn't Fit!

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

'71 - '74Super Beetle Brazilian Gas Tank - Neck Doesn't Fit!

Post by Sluggo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:41 pm

I got into my Beetle the other day and it reeked of gas! :pale: Looked underneath the car and saw gas steadily dripping off of the wiring harness coming from the trunk. This answers why when I filled up the night before and did my mileage it had dropped to 13 MPG from 26MPG. Good thing I didn't try and start it! :blob6:

Called Bottomend and got a ride to see Linda Costa at Bob Costa Enterprises. Picked up a Brazilian VW Factory Gas tank. I was told by the mechanic that I may have to trim the lip the corner of the tank to make it clear. Ended up not needing to do that. Drained my (used to be full) tank of gas and put it in Bottomend's Bus as payment for the ride and help with installation/removal (plus I had no where else to put it). Gas tank came out pretty easy and we quickly saw the problem. The many holes in the bottom of the tank (and one on top in the back) were filled with JB Weld and spray painted black. One had started to peel off and there was my leak. Popped in the new tank and it fit well. I did have to drill two little notches on the lip on the passenger side so the securing nuts would fit.

Everything went well until we got to the filler neck. It just wouldn't slide into the opening on the tank. both sides were the exact same size. We worked on this for almost 2 hours and finally just rigged it up so it would hold a few gallons without leaking so I could drive to Bob Costa Enterprises the next day and ask for some help. Got there and the problem was soon solved. On the lip of the female fill tube coming from the tank there is a bulge. When it gets cut at the factory they cut it at about the peak of the bulge. One in a million (mine of course) cut just a half millimeter or so too far out. This causes the female end to be the same exact size as the male.

Finally, the tip:

Check to make sure the filler neck fits in the tank before you install the tank. If it does not fit, follow these steps.

Method 1.

1. Make sure no gas is in the tank.
2. Stuff rags (or whatever as long as it's clean) in the neck of the tank.
3. Cut just a tiny bit off of the end of the tank fill lip. A cutting wheel will work best but you can use a hacksaw.
4. Check to make sure the neck fits in the fill tube. Repeat as necessary.
5. Sand the end of the lip where you cut it smooth to prevent it from cutting the hose that covers this connection.

If you've already put gas in the tank...

Method 2.
1. Use a small pair of vise grips and slowly bend the lip of the tank out. Take small steps and try to make the edge as even as possible. Only bend it a little bit at a time. Take your time. Feel around the edge to see if one side comes in more than the other and try bending that side out first.

2. Check to see if the neck fits often. You don't want to over do it.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------