OK to treat plastic interior parts with Armor-All?

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

OK to treat plastic interior parts with Armor-All?

Post by glasseye » Fri May 23, 2008 9:02 pm

My dashboard can use a little TLC, cosmetically speaking. What's the consensus on treating the dash and other plastic bits with vinyl restorative products?

(NEVER treat a motorcycle seat this way!) :drunken:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

I prefer the cream based schtuff, conditions better and doesn't dry the plastic/vinyl out.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:37 pm

Don't use ArmorAll. The chemicals in it will actually dry out and crack vinyl and other plastics. See if you can find some 303. Good stuff.

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.c ... N=25990390
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:20 pm

x2 ^^. I would recommend NuVinyl ... IMHO, doesn't seem to dry it out, nor does it make stuff too shiny.... been around since the 70's.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: OK to treat plastic interior parts with Armor-All?

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:39 am

glasseye wrote:My dashboard can use a little TLC, cosmetically speaking. What's the consensus on treating the dash and other plastic bits with vinyl restorative products?
Depends . . . if it is an Asstro or a VW we're talking about here. :bom:

Because all typically available treatments *can* increase deterioration of plastic if you do not continually recondition, you just need to make an election that you will continually recondition. I average once every eight weeks or so during summer when I am continually exposed to glaring sunlight and horrendous interior temperatures, then once just before winter storage. I have used whatever falls to hand at the FLAPS, currently Black Magic Vinyl Conditioner.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:51 am

Hiya All,

I'll throw my two pennies in on this subject...........

I have read in a couple of different places that the reason Armor-All is to be avoided is that acts as a solvent when applied to vinyl. It actually degrades the top surface of the vinyl and that is what produces the lustre. Continual use of the product will eventually make the vinyl so thin that it will crack when heated and cooled.

I use this stuff instead.............

http://www.zymol.com/zymolvinyl85oz.aspx

And it can found on e-Bay for a heckuva lot less than advertised on that page.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:24 pm

The general consensus is that ArmorAll sucks. Nothing more to say.

I have had good luck with Maguires Vinyl and Rubber Restorer. That is just anecdotal, of course. Take it for what it is worth since I am not a real car resto expert; I just play one on weekends.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:48 pm

OK, so it's McGuires on the Dorper, Armor All on the Asstro. Got it. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Robert Berglund
Getting Hooked!

Post by Robert Berglund » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Baby Oil aka Mineral oil. Use it on rubber seals and dash board.

For a dried out "S" Boot or dried out "Y"'s, fill up a crock pot with Baby Oil and submerge the dried part into the oil and turn the crock pot to low and let it go for a few days. Keep an eye on it .

What da ya no. =D>

AirCooledNut
Getting Hooked!

Post by AirCooledNut » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:46 am

Any thing with UV protection is always a bonus. UV rays from the sun are damaging to everything under the sun! :blackeye:
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
DDB Forum
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner; '95 VW Jetta GL, Solo II EP; '81 Goldwing 1100
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners & http://www.type3registry.com/

Robert Berglund
Getting Hooked!

Post by Robert Berglund » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:36 pm

AirCooledNut wrote:Any thing with UV protection is always a bonus. UV rays from the sun are damaging to everything under the sun! :blackeye:
Careful now.....not everything with UV protection actually protects against UV rays.
The latest of tests show that a sun screen with UV protection actually promote the absorbing of UV rays.

As a chemical coatings professional for over 30 years, the painting industry has known for years just how little the UV inhibiters that are added to the coating actually help in preventing UV from absorbing into a surface.

Also ask yourself this..........Are UV rays capeable of penetrating glass.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:54 pm

Robert Berglund wrote: Also ask yourself this..........Are UV rays capeable of penetrating glass.
No. Can "protein" or "Australian Sea Kelp" shampoos "nourish" hair? No. Hair is only nourished at production in the follicle.
Does creme this and food that feed and condition leather? No. It smears all over dyes that do their best to not allow anything to absorb into leather. Whattupwiddat?

Marketing is insidious and stupifying. There are no UV rays in the engine compartment either, but plastic and vinyl and rubber deteriorate in there too. We have heat, we have ozone, we have solvent vapors, we have engine oil that detergently strips plastic and dries out rubber. I have CV boots that gave me an honest 110,000 miles before I gave then to JBlair 630, and washing with water seemed to give me the best suppleness over time. Unfortunately for marketing, I used free water.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:06 am

Robert Berglund wrote:
AirCooledNut wrote:Any thing with UV protection is always a bonus. UV rays from the sun are damaging to everything under the sun! :blackeye:
Um, it depends. Non-tinted, non-laminated auto glass does a good job of stopping UVB (the rays that cause sun-burn) but not UVA (the type that penetrates deeper into the skin and causes wrinkles and skin damage).

Things are always complicated.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:25 am

satchmo wrote:
Robert Berglund wrote:
Um, it depends. Non-tinted, non-laminated auto glass does a good job of stopping UVB (the rays that cause sun-burn) but not UVA (the type that penetrates deeper into the skin and causes wrinkles and skin damage).

Things are always complicated.

Tim
We aren't interested in protecting the driver. I still remember the phrase from my cycling days, 'Skin heals, Campy doesn't'.

Is it UVA that damages my dash and interior?