Spare parts to carry on a longer road trip?

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Spare parts to carry on a longer road trip?

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:08 pm

I had a brief conversation with Colin about this when he was here. What back up parts ought to be carried for a long trip in my '78 Westy? Double relay? Fuel filter and pump? Clutch and accelerator cables...What is the thinking out there about this? I'd appreciate the benefit of others experience on this subject...a checklist.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Spare parts to carry on a longer road trip?

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Plugs, points, cap, rotor, alt belt, gas filter, fuel line, some 16g wire, connector kit with assorted connectors, fuses, assortment of new nuts & bolts & washers, CHT.
This what I carry.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:41 am

LIght bulbs, rocker arm cover gaskets, oil, AAR elbow (or two or three), temp sensor II, spare AFM (okay, that's just me. I'm a classic belt-and-suspenders kinda guy).

The list of spares reduces with the amount of confidence you have in the state of your ride before the trip, so it's best to make sure as much as possible (or feasible) is in ship-shape beforehand.

Most important: Senses of humor and adventure, in equal measure. :flower:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Thank you for these recommendations.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:56 pm

yep, be prepared and fo' sure stuff will happen as its all part of the trip.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am

I, on the other hand, subscribe to the talisman theory.

I carry a spare distributor, fuel pump, headlight, bulbs, voltage regulator, and other gadgets. This reduces the probability that any of these articles will break down.

I also carry a great number of tools. The box must weigh forty pounds. The greater the variety of tools I carry, the lower the probability that I will actually use the more exotic ones on a regular basis.

However, I am reasonably sure that the next component that will break down will be one for which I do not carry a spare. To fix it will require a tool that I do not have with me. It may be in my garage, but my garage will be five hundred miles away.

I also carry a box of nuts, bolts, screws, and washers. The last time I needed a machine screw, I could not find it in the box. So I bought it at a hardware store. In fact, I bought two of them, and the other one went into the hardware box, thereby ensuring that I will never need that particular part again.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:22 pm

JLT wrote:I, on the other hand, subscribe to the talisman theory.
A most prudent theory, and one which I am all too guilty of subscription. Ask anyone who's gone bike riding with me. And as far as toolbox weight goes, mine is close to needing a two-handed lift.

As applied to life in the more general sense, though, one runs into little conundrums. For instance: if subscribing to the talisman theory, is it worth one's while to carry a condom? :scratch:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 pm

For long trips in Frito (say more than 5k miles) I usually take a spare headlight bulb. :bootyshake:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 pm

OhhhhhYouuuuuuWhyIoughta..... :geek:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:23 am

I go over everything carefully and only bring along my tool box. Never had the need to haul along items such as distributor, fuel pump, engine etc...

I do have an extra clutch cable & accelerator cable (toolbox) but have never had to actually install either of them on the go. I replaced my bowden tube (fall 2011). The previous one was at least 15+ years old and I last had it out in April 2006. Upon inspection of the cable I found no issues with it. So I installed the new bowden tube and the old cable. I did not need to replace the clevis pin either.

Everything greased up and reinstalled including the dust boot at each end.

What I've done recently:

Rebuilt front end
Brake hoses (front & rear) replaced (fluid flushed replaced with Super ATE blue)
Rebuilt calipers (front) new pads installed
New AMC reworked (42x36mm) heads from HeadflowMasters
New Biral AA P/C's 96mm
Porsche swivel foot adjusters
Rebuilt the 40mm Weber carbs
Rebuilt the fuel pump
New oil pressure switch (German)
All new VR seal kit installed while installing new heads & P/C's
New T/O bearing and pilot bearing.
New front seal
New rear seal
New plug wires (Bosch)
New plugs (NGK B5ES)
New T-stat & cable

Most importantly...doesn't leak a drop. I detest oil leaks of any kind.

Ready for a road trip!
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:20 am

Jivermo wrote:I had a brief conversation with Colin about this when he was here. What back up parts ought to be carried for a long trip in my '78 Westy? Double relay? Fuel filter and pump? Clutch and accelerator cables...What is the thinking out there about this? I'd appreciate the benefit of others experience on this subject...a checklist.
Greatly depends on your current familiarity with your car.

Plugs, for example, I do not bother with, nor distributor cap nor rotor, no need for an air or fuel filter if you changed them recently (if your trip is longer than 18,000 miles, then yes a change is called for).
A spare fuel pump is good, they are princesses when they fall ill. A double relay does have a pesky diode set up that can strand you, but I do not carry a spare, I stay away from that stuff and it works (you can hotwire a double relay to work to get you back to civilization).

In the cheep new world, a length of fuel hose is good if yours are not fully new and fresh to the tank in/outlets. Starters my god, new ones are failing at the solenoids after only a couple of years, so a spare hotstart relay and some wire and some duct tape. Your spare cables are a good idea, but better yet, lubricate your currently installed ones from the clutch and accelerator pedals on back, be thorough.

Spare fuses 8a and 16a.

Bring your own comfort tools and supplies. Mine, of course, is a full toolbox, but I feel unprepared with anything less.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 am

Wonderful suggestions, all. Thanks for the valuable input. I will also have my map of Aircooled support staff around the United States. That is one great idea.