Can these heads be repaired?

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Can these heads be repaired?

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 am

Working on a freinds buggy and noticed some cracks. Wondering if I should tell her to ponie up the $$ for new ones.

The Buggy

1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: Can these heads be repaired?

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Yes anything aluminum can be repaired. Can it be repaired for less than the cost of new heads is the question, and this depends on who does the fixin. So you need to find a machine shop or 2 to answer your question properly.

The valves in those heads are WAY carboned and sooty, this engine was running pig rich and probably ran very poorly. The exhaust valve should be a different color from the intake due to the heat it should be seeing. These exhausts did not see anywhere near the heat they should have.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:41 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Yes anything aluminum can be repaired. Can it be repaired for less than the cost of new heads is the question, and this depends on who does the fixin. So you need to find a machine shop or 2 to answer your question properly.

The valves in those heads are WAY carboned and sooty, this engine was running pig rich and probably ran very poorly. The exhaust valve should be a different color from the intake due to the heat it should be seeing. These exhausts did not see anywhere near the heat they should have.
The filth on the outside of the heads deserves mention too. What caused it? Chronic oil leaks all over the place? Loose heads to cylinders? These engines need to be clean, and the cause for filth needs to be hunted down. The cool looking exhaust valve heads are a classic indicator of damn close to no compression.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:55 am

Owner purchase it about 2 years ago, but hasn't really driven it. They guy who sold it to her said it needed the pushrod tube seals replaced. THAT is what started it. Engine ran ok. after I pulled the engine I noticed I could rotate by hand VERY easily. After draining the oil and smelling the gas in it I figured there would be problems. Upon pulling the shroud I almost puked at the mess. Grease,Dirt,Leaves,Pine needles all stacked on the cylinders and heads. Poor engine.

Digging through the garage looking for another set of heads and pistons I know I set aside for "someday", of course I can not find them.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Purchased from craigslist for $150. Ohh, purdy!