78 Westy/starter/reinstall difficulty

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:18 am

I don't even know which bus of the several you have listed we're talking about here, but you are aware that starters changed in 1976 when the flywheel got bigger to 228mm?
If you use an earlier starter (used with 200/210/215 flywheels) on a later bus, there will be binding between the teeth of the flywheel and the starter pinion. Remember that your "they are identical" eyeballs are not going to catch a difference in just a couple of millimeters between the center of the starter shaft and the edges of the starter pinion teeth.
? Colin ?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:53 am

Amskeptic wrote:I don't even know which bus of the several you have listed we're talking about here, but you are aware that starters changed in 1976 when the flywheel got bigger to 228mm?
If you use an earlier starter (used with 200/210/215 flywheels) on a later bus, there will be binding between the teeth of the flywheel and the starter pinion. Remember that your "they are identical" eyeballs are not going to catch a difference in just a couple of millimeters between the center of the starter shaft and the edges of the starter pinion teeth.
? Colin ?
The only bus I am currently working on is the 78 Westfalia with seemingly stock everything. I am trying to get it running so I can have the VIN/title inspection to get it registered. That being said,

I would not notice the difference of a few mm's. I was aware of different size flywheels, but I have no reason to assume this is other than stock for a 78. When first starter rebuild kit was completely wrong, I made sure to give parts manager every number off old starter so he could order correct replacement. I have a starter out of a 74, and they are not similar enough to consider as a replacement. When I picked up the replacement starter, it had stickers on the numbers and I did not match numbers. Lesson learned I guess. It looked exactly the same and I was not taking into consideration different size flywheels.

With this known, the numbers on the new starter are:
Bosch
Made in Germany
0 001 211 221 (symbol) 222
12v
(audi vw symbol) 091 911 023

How do I identify if this is the correct starter? And for which flywheel.

I'm sure that there is a simple explaination for all this, but I am at a loss. I am thinking of removing the gas tank and treating it before I install the new fuel pump I have coming. This would create the perfect excuse to pull the engine and tranny to make this a whole lot easier. Whaddya think? Or does this appear as a desperate kopout? I need to replace almost every hose on this bus as they are all dry and cracking, so what's my best recourse?

Thanks

Brett
Searching for reason in an unreasonable location.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:48 pm

'The Bosch number is 0 001 211 993 for up to July 1975 or 0 001 211 221 for August 75 (76 models)'

thats from a UK source...not 100% if that applies to US

should say SR87X for 76 and later
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:26 am

Called parts store and got new starter on order. They couldn't seem to figure out which vehicle it is. Transporter, Type 2, Vanagon. We're going with vanagon this time. It referenced years 76-82 in their book. Bosch site says campmobile for the option. Looks like this may be my most important VW lesson. Always purchase part first, then return core after everything matches up. Anyway, I'll measure these for comparison at the store and report back.

Thanks for the help. I hope this is the solution.

Brett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:21 pm

Jr. Buser wrote: Looks like this may be my most important VW lesson.
Always purchase part first, then return core after everything matches up.
I hope this is the solution.
Many many many many more "most important" lessons to come.
I think the most important VW lesson is to never never never tune out the existence and behavior of your oil pressure warning light. . . . and stoplights of course.
Colin :geek:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Many many many many more "most important" lessons to come.
Colin
Pretty hard to imagine a better first lesson than to use the correct replacement part for the application. I am such a dork. :blackeye:

I am REALLY hoping that learning this lesson the hard way will make the rest so much easier. Did I mention the dork thing.

So according to my local parts store, I drive a 1978 Vanagon. That is how they reference up to the 2.0 engine. ? Not a type 2 or transporter.

Thanks all for your help on this simple silly quest of mine. Thanks to those who opted not to snicker.

No more wasted time.

Brett

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself, the FLAPS should list parts correctly. Without a good dedicated VW parts house in your area, this happens. I'ts not the countermans fault, the databases are full of errors, especialy for older cars of any kind.

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:04 pm

bus71 wrote:Hey, don't be so hard on yourself
All said with a silly grin. Believe it or not, I never cussed at all. No time to be down. Just hate to waste time when there were so many clues. Like it didn't fit!

bus71 wrote: the FLAPS should list parts correctly.
FLAPS? Seen this before, but not familiar with it.
bus71 wrote:I'ts not the countermans fault, the databases are full of errors, especialy for older cars of any kind.
I made sure to be nice to the counterman. I live in small town USA. I'm lucky they can get foreign parts sometimes, plus I do plenty of business with them and they always honor warranty. This is just a good learning base to build upon for all future work on unfamiliar pieces.

I will finally get some good sleep tonight.

Distributor is next.............stay tuned:)

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Friendly local auto parts store :-)