1982 Vanagon FI Non-Cali

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Manaman
I'm New!

1982 Vanagon FI Non-Cali

Post by Manaman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Have an issue and I need your help!

1982 Vanagon Non-California, Fuel injected named Lolo, Colin you worked on it 2 years ago in Naples FL, the crankshaft was put in 180degrees off

This is the issue which I can't replicate so its an intermitted problem. Heres what happens

Drive the van for 30min on highway 55-60mph

Park the van let it sit for 20-25min then leave to go

Van starts I drive off to take off in 1st 2nd then couple mins later van cuts out and dies (CHT@270-290deg)

Try to restart turns but doesn't crank over

Let the van sit for a while

Might start might not,

but if it starts I try to drive,

if I stay in lower gears it will die,

if I can get up to higher speed like HWY it will run no problem

This has happened a couple of times, I replaced Temp2 sensor, didn't work, I check for vacuum leaks, have none, I checked grounds all good. I checked the connection on AFM all good as far as I can tell. replaced coil

We seem to think its an electrical thing and heat but I don't know and don't know what else I should check so if you can help me PLease I need it

once the van cools down it starts right up and I can drive it
1982 Vanagon Westfalia Federal Manual FI
1985 Vanagon L WBX
1972 Super Beetle

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1982 Vanagon FI Non-Cali

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Manaman wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm
Have an issue and I need your help!

1982 Vanagon Non-California, Fuel injected named Lolo, Colin you worked on it 2 years ago in Naples FL, the crankshaft was put in 180degrees off

This is the issue which I can't replicate so its an intermitted problem. Heres what happens

Drive the van for 30min on highway 55-60mph

Park the van let it sit for 20-25min then leave to go

Van starts I drive off to take off in 1st 2nd then couple mins later van cuts out and dies (CHT@270-290deg)

Try to restart turns but doesn't crank over

Let the van sit for a while

Might start might not,

but if it starts I try to drive,

if I stay in lower gears it will die,

if I can get up to higher speed like HWY it will run no problem

This has happened a couple of times, I replaced Temp2 sensor, didn't work, I check for vacuum leaks, have none, I checked grounds all good. I checked the connection on AFM all good as far as I can tell. replaced coil

We seem to think its an electrical thing and heat but I don't know and don't know what else I should check so if you can help me PLease I need it

once the van cools down it starts right up and I can drive it

Joe, the above is literally a copy/paste of your post on Facebook group. Or your Facebook post is a copy/paste of the above ...
I answered there, where many many many helpful-but-sometimes-distacting other suggestions occur. We need to focus and stay on-point. Where would you like to further this this inquiry, here, or Facebook?

Joe! Nice picture of your misbehaving Vanagon. I hate to merely speculate with further noise. We have to prepare for your engine to tell us what ails it. You must drive it until it conks out.
A) hook up timing light and look for flashes as it cranks
Yes ( ) No ( )
no flashes? possible coil windings opening when hot.
yes flashes:
B) take cover off AFM and just see if fuel pump runs when you move the wiper a little bit.
Yes ( ) No ( )
no sound of pump? Pump windings may be opening when hot.
yes pump:
C) you need to do a light little prime with gasoline down the vacuum line that leads from the decel valve to the brake booster wye. Just a well-poured 1/4 oz (half shot glass) down the vacuum line, put it back on, crank engine. If it fires, you may have a heat-related fuel issue, like:
D) vapor lock. Put well-secured fuel gauge on test port, run it to death, run back and look for fuel pressure to remain above 14 for ten minutes at least. No residual pressure? Check FPR and fuel pump check valve action.

This is not hard. It is simple essential trouble-shooting. Just let me know where to follow through.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles