Bus 1 has issues...

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Re: Bus 1 has issues...

Post by 71whitewesty » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:33 pm

It doesn’t help. I have it turned out so that the screw head is about even with the hole it’s in. It’s turned way out at the moment.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 pm

71whitewesty wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:33 pm
It doesn’t help. I have it turned out so that the screw head is about even with the hole it’s in. It’s turned way out at the moment.

I look forward to visiting this problem child.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Visited this problem child . . . we got it running well. Will write up in the Itinerary Forum.
So yeah, nobody gets no idle if it is at 16*ATDC!
Colin : )

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:44 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm

So yeah, nobody gets no idle if it is at 16*ATDC!
Colin : )
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:29 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:44 am
I have to find some time! Appointment tomorrow after appointment today.

"... please hold, your question 'HUH?' is very important to us."
Customer Service
Itinerant Air-Cooled

(06/25 link: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13649 )

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Hope I’m not messing up the flow by jumping back to this thread but I have some news.....
Bus 1has been running better since Colin’s visit. However I have still had some issues with it. Left yesterday from windsurfing on the river and the bus just ran like shit. Pulled over and adjusted the new points I put in last week. Ran better but still had some strange stall out before it would run. Had to keep the rpms up. Just dug into it here at home and have decided that I have some issue with the distributor itself. When Colin was here we tried two different ones that I had with the same results. Well I just put together a third 205q dizzy that I have here and stuck it in Bus 1 and I think it’s really fixed now. I haven’t taken it out for a test run yet but I do have all vacuum hoses connected and fingers crossed it seems to be idleing real well etc. I’ll report back once I’ve driven it.
The dizzy that was in there seems really slack in the way the top part rotates. There is no resistance and it just feels really loose and sloppy. I’ll dig into it too and see if I can figure it out but for now I’m going for a drive to see if that was the issue.
I bet this is the problem. Distributor issues. More later.... :bounce:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:17 pm

71whitewesty wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:10 pm
Hope I’m not messing up the flow by jumping back to this thread but I have some news.....
Bus 1has been running better since Colin’s visit. However I have still had some issues with it. Left yesterday from windsurfing on the river and the bus just ran like shit. Pulled over and adjusted the new points I put in last week. Ran better but still had some strange stall out before it would run. Had to keep the rpms up. Just dug into it here at home and have decided that I have some issue with the distributor itself. When Colin was here we tried two different ones that I had with the same results. Well I just put together a third 205q dizzy that I have here and stuck it in Bus 1 and I think it’s really fixed now. I haven’t taken it out for a test run yet but I do have all vacuum hoses connected and fingers crossed it seems to be idleing real well etc. I’ll report back once I’ve driven it.
The dizzy that was in there seems really slack in the way the top part rotates. There is no resistance and it just feels really loose and sloppy. I’ll dig into it too and see if I can figure it out but for now I’m going for a drive to see if that was the issue.
I bet this is the problem. Distributor issues. More later.... :bounce:

That would be "missing or broken centrifugal advance spring/post". See wcfvw69 for details.

Here's hoping!
Colin

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 am

Right and that’s what I think it must be too. Haven’t dug into it yet. Took it for a drive and it does run better. Takes off in first gear easier without having to rev it up a bit. Been messing with the idle screw because it still idles low but not low like it’s going to die. Also reset the timing too. Seems pretty good though overall. I’ll keep driving it and see how things go. I’ll be looking for another 205 q at the swap this weekend.

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 am

Took Bus 1for another drive and it seems to be running really well now. Idles fine and can start off in 1st gear easily with no gas. The idle was a bit low on the first day but the second day it was a bit high so I turned the idle screw in a bit and now it’s just running great.
So I’ve decided I have a couple of distributors that have some issues. I will dig into them and see if I can figure out what the issues are. I used the same vacuum can that was on the distributor that I took out of bus 1 so I know the cans I have are good.
Feel great to have this running properly after literally years of dealing with different strange issues. :cyclopsani: :geek:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:37 am

71whitewesty wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 am
Took Bus 1for another drive and it seems to be running really well now. Idles fine and can start off in 1st gear easily with no gas. The idle was a bit low on the first day but the second day it was a bit high so I turned the idle screw in a bit and now it’s just running great.
So I’ve decided I have a couple of distributors that have some issues. I will dig into them and see if I can figure out what the issues are. I used the same vacuum can that was on the distributor that I took out of bus 1 so I know the cans I have are good.
Feel great to have this running properly after literally years of dealing with different strange issues. :cyclopsani: :geek:

Yes, it has been a journey since we first met at Maupin . . . now you have two buses to go.
Chopchop.
Colin

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 am

Ok, it’s time for an update on Bus 1’s issues. My above posts seems to think it was running better with a distributor switch out. Well it didn’t last long and still wasn’t running right. I’ve been driving it and it’s runs ok on the freeway but once it gets warmed up it still wasn’t running just right.
So I sent two distributors off to wcfvw69 for evaluation. As expected, they were both wore out. I picked these up at a swap along the way and put new points, cap, vacuum can and probably some condenser I had laying around on and figured they were good to go. Well they weren’t and wcfvw69 detailed his findings with pictures and emails. Worn out pivot plates and pins where the weights go and at least one spring needed to be replaced too. I only had him rebuild one for now. Wow, I highly recommend sending your old worn out distributor to him for the full treatment. It came back looking better than new. In the meantime I’ve been running a third 205q in there that is also worn out but works. As soon as I received the rebuilt one, I stuck it right in and immediately could tell the difference. It runs much smoother, idles better etc. really made a nice difference. I have now put about 400 miles on it and the Bus is running really great on the open road.
However I’m still having some sporadic idle issues once it’s fully warmed up. Overall it’s fine and I have confidence this bus is ready for any kind of trip but my carb choke isn’t working right so I need to deal with that. The carb on it is a swap meet carb that I sent to volksbitz for rebuild. He also does a great job with these the carbs however, this one has a sticky choke so the choke really isn’t working. So it takes a while to warm up and then runs good (but once REALLY warmed up it can still stumble at idle). I’m going to send this back and see if he can fix the choke and also send him another carb to rebuild so I can swap them out and see if that helps.
So slowly but surely Bus 1 is running better than it has in a long time. The rebuilt distributor was key. I have all the hoses hooked up and it’s timed properly. I’ll report back once I get the choke issue fixed.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 pm

71whitewesty wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 am
A) I sent two distributors off to wcfvw69 for evaluation.
wcfvw69 detailed his findings with pictures and emails. Worn out pivot plates and pins where the weights go and at least one spring needed to be replaced too. I only had him rebuild one for now. Wow, I highly recommend sending your old worn out distributor to him

B) volksbitz does a great job with these the carbs however, this one has a sticky choke

a) Excellent quality work is appreciated when you stumble across it, aye?

b) Volksbitz needs to put in those little washers that sit to each side of the choke plate. Make sure, otherwise the choke plate can start to eat the potmetal bore and then start sticking.
ColinInSocorroNM

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:15 am

b) had sticky choke, couldn’t find washers. Sanded the created groove out in andrewtf’s driveway circa August 2016, and it seems to have completely eradicated the issue.

Colin, the only mention of those washers I can find on the internet is on a dual PDSIT rebuild tutorial. Should these be fiber? Metal? Plastic?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:33 am

I just sent another carb to him yesterday for a rebuild. Once that one comes back I’ll mess around with the one that’s on there or send it back to him to see if he can fix it.
I’m starting to think I have some sort of intermittent vacuum leak. I’m going to spray some carb cleaner around when it idles way down again and see if that changes anything. Done this test a few times before with mixed results.
But on the open road it’s running great with a bit more power than Bus 2.
I’ll keep you posted. I’ll get this bus running perfectly....eventually.
Always appreciate the good advice I get from here.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 am

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:15 am
A) had sticky choke, couldn’t find washers. Sanded the created groove out in andrewtf’s driveway circa August 2016, and it seems to have completely eradicated the issue.

B) Colin, the only mention of those washers I can find on the internet is on a dual PDSIT rebuild tutorial. Should these be fiber? Metal? Plastic?

Robbie
a) will the problem recur, or have the physics changed inside the bore that would preclude a return of symptoms?

b) They were originally metal, and I think they have to be way too thin to be successfully fashioned from plastic.

Colin