Dansk heater boxes

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Re: Dansk heater boxes

Post by Curtp07 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 am

Hey sg...

It's coming from around the exhaust port..no pictures. Far from my bus right now.

Definite leak around the copper gasket. Confirmed when looking at the header as well after removal and replacement. Widened the through holes, tapped the header with a rubber mallet as I torqued to help seat...annealed....copper sealant...nothing working.

No matter how I torque that #1 header it just is not making a complete seal. I wouldn't be surprised if this darn Dansk is warped in some fashion already...I'm about to drop $375 on an OE NOS header....

If it's verboten to double up on the copper gaskets I'm going to try the OE header...I can't run it with a leak like this.

:)

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Just this past weekend Jake Raby was telling me has soldered two gaskets together and used them as one unit to make a good seal. He also said that often the flange for bolting to the head is too close to the end of the riser so it can't pull up tight enough to seal. Grinding down the flange a bit allows it to seal.
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:51 pm

These are 72-74 replacement boxes? I would pull them off and look very closely how they are mating then figure how to tweak them to seal. Don't tighten them all the way when testing because the copper rings can't be resused when you do that. If you just bolt them up easily you can see the high and low spots then adjust accordingly. Once they are heated per RAtwell they do get softer and crush. It makes a huge difference. I used an infared gun as well as a color chart to know their temps when I did mine.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:48 am

Great ideas guys! Thank you VERY much!

I'll post results.

Curt

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Update: doubled up on copper gasket on #1 and refit exhaust manifold. Sounds perfect. Long road test to follow!

It appears the LITTLE that was sanded off to level at the machine shop was all it took to cause the flanges to bottom out by a thousandth....didn't confirm until the gasket trick.

More to follow..

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Road test confirms gasket trick worked! Sounds great...next to attack the "no descending rpm" during shifting. Decel valve?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:01 am

Curtp07 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:24 pm
Road test confirms gasket trick worked! Sounds great...next to attack the "no descending rpm" during shifting. Decel valve?
Remove vacuum line to decel valve and plug it. Test drive. Report back.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:22 pm

That's the culprit...soaking in carb cleaner now. Cleaned it up...18psi to open the diaphragm...

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:10 am

So, the decel valve works great now. No more RPM hanging...

Next up, the brakes. New check valve, all new vac hoses to the check valve.

Symptoms: sometimes the brakes feel "mushy"...just doesn't seem like full stopping power.

All the brake hardware is new. Going to re bleed first. Replacing brake switches as well to diagnose the "brake warning light on...off when brakes pressed" that we tried so hard to fix last visit.

Update soon..any comments please chime in :)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:13 am

Curtp07 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:10 am

Next up, the brakes. New check valve, all new vac hoses to the check valve.

Symptoms: sometimes the brakes feel "mushy"...just doesn't seem like full stopping power.

All the brake hardware is new. Going to re bleed first. Replacing brake switches as well to diagnose the "brake warning light on...off when brakes pressed" that we tried so hard to fix last visit.

Update soon..any comments please chime in :)
Do a Brake Forum post as you wade in. That was vexing. Please do not bother with Euromax brake switches should you need to replace any.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:34 am

Curtp07 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:10 am
Thanks for reporting back! It's satisfying to read a diagnostic-resolution exchange with so few posts. Hell, compared to some other forums, it's satisfying to read that anybody actually answers relevant questions anymore. :blackeye:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.