1978 2.0L FI Hydraulic Lifter #2 Exhaust Problem

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Wild Bill
I'm New!

1978 2.0L FI Hydraulic Lifter #2 Exhaust Problem

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:24 pm

My problem is the #2 Cylinder Exhaust Hydraulic lifter will not hold oil overnight. It completely collapses and takes forever to pump back up. I replaced all the lifters with brand new ones and the problem still persists . Just that lifter no other lifters are giving me problems. Is there something internally that could be wrong in that lifter spigot? In the past on occasion I would have this problem , now it is happening every day. Takes about 25 Minutes before it finally pumps up. This is my daily driver.
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida
1978 High Top Camper, 2.0L, FI
1969 Squareback,2.0L, T-4

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: 1978 2.0L FI Hydraulic Lifter #2 Exhaust Problem

Post by asiab3 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Welcome Wild Bill,

So you swapped all the lifters in the engine, and the exact same lifter location has a problem pumping up? How many miles on the engine? Do you have relatively clean oil, with a clean filter? When you swapped the lifters, did you blow carb cleaner through the pushrods to make sure there was no blockage?

Tell us how you're adjusting your preload. In fact, the kind folks at Itinerant-Air-Cooled have an adjustment article right here!
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11408

Let us know the details, good sir or ma'am,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:26 am

Swapped all the lifters, exact mileage on lower case is unknown, 50K on the new upper side but I'm scheduled for a complete rebuild this winter.Clean oil and filter 20w50w, checked for blockage and cleaned.

Just read preload article and will follow procedures and get back to you. I have been adjusting the valves incorrectly it seems. THanks for the reply and the welcome.
Wild Bill
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:30 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Swapped all the lifters, exact mileage on lower case is unknown, 50K on the new upper side but I'm scheduled for a complete rebuild this winter.Clean oil and filter 20w50w, checked for blockage and cleaned.

Just read preload article and will follow procedures and get back to you. I have been adjusting the valves incorrectly it seems. THanks for the reply and the welcome.
Wild Bill
Hey Wild Bill, are you THE Wild Bill of Pensacola Florida Fame?
Update us on this interesting issue.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:47 pm

That would be me Colin. Have been studying your Hydro Preload page and will get my hands dirty soon. Will keep you updated
Wild Bill
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Wild Bill wrote:That would be me Colin. Have been studying your Hydro Preload page and will get my hands dirty soon. Will keep you updated
Wild Bill
Good, I will be interested to see if you get that lifter to behave. It is very unlikely to be an oil supply problem.
You are not running some elephant foot adjusters or anything, right? This is a GE case?
Colin
(my poor little 1600 sp engine that I never did get around to rebuilding, has an additional 25,000 miles since I last saw you . . . end play just hit .005" and all is sounding pretty sloppy back there)

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:12 pm

Amskeptic wrote:(my poor little 1600 sp engine that I never did get around to rebuilding, has an additional 25,000 miles since I last saw you . . . end play just hit .005" and all is sounding pretty sloppy back there)
No time like this winter to do a spectacularly anal, nit picky overhaul of Chloe's heart. Of course, copious amounts of pictures and documentation should be warranted and appreciated.

As the warden of Shawshank Redemption stated "I want that engine rebuilt now, not after breakfast or after your morning dump, now!"

:)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:That would be me Colin. Have been studying your Hydro Preload page and will get my hands dirty soon. Will keep you updated
Wild Bill
Good, I will be interested to see if you get that lifter to behave. It is very unlikely to be an oil supply problem.
You are not running some elephant foot adjusters or anything, right? This is a GE case?
Colin
(my poor little 1600 sp engine that I never did get around to rebuilding, has an additional 25,000 miles since I last saw you . . . end play just hit .005" and all is sounding pretty sloppy back there)

GE Case , no swivel adjusters. Just that one lifter acting up! Driving me crazy but I'll get it! :thumbleft:
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:54 am

Wild Bill wrote: GE Case , no swivel adjusters. Just that one lifter acting up! Driving me crazy but I'll get it! :thumbleft:

New Experiment:

Next time you shut off the engine, immediately rotate the alternator with your 22mm wrench and get #2 to TDC firing (i.e. distributor rotor is pointing to the #2 spark plug wire terminal on the distributor cap)

Let us know if the lifter clatters upon start-up.
Colin

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:31 am

I'm driving to work in about an hour or so. I'll give it a shot.
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Well guess I have solved this one. Seems that after I readjusted my valves as per Colin's procedures. My problem has gone away.
I set them at 2 turns in. All is well again. Thanks for the inputs. :cheers:
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Well guess I have solved this one. Seems that after I readjusted my valves as per Colin's procedures. My problem has gone away.
I set them at 2 turns in. All is well again. Thanks for the inputs. :cheers:
Well hell, that leaves exactly 0 customers in 13 years who have had problems persist with their lifters on my watch.
Thanks for getting back to us. I plan to visit Pensacola in middle to late November. I say beer pizza, I say.
Colin

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:10 am

That Pizza and beer thing can be arranged. Let me know of your arrival.
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:49 pm

Wild Bill wrote:That Pizza and beer thing can be arranged. Let me know of your arrival.
We are in a troubleshooting forum. I have been informed that you have a troubleshooting issue.

Spark but no fuel delivery. Pump runs. Had to get towed from Bug Jam or something.
Am I correct?

a) pull fuel injector plug, an easy one is #4

b) put a test light alligator clip on the (+) POSITIVE side of the coil

c) turn on engine and touch the pointy probe end on one of the two terminals. If the test probe light stays out, it is your positive wire from the series resistors. The other terminal must blink in time with the breaker points. If not, stick the plug back on the injector and check #1 terminal of coil for the white wire that leads to the FI harness, and check continuity between it and the #1 terminal of the electronic control unit plug.

Will be in Pensacola by November 18th, is that engine workshop night?
Colin

Wild Bill
I'm New!

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Yes I am having issues. JUst got Bus in Don's garage this afternoon and I had to take wife out to eat (It's our Anniversary ) so no work was done.
Thanks I'll run through those tests. I have been refreshing my memory on chasing rabbits in the fuel injection system. It's all becoming very clear now.
When I was attempting to field repair Rusty at the Bug Jam Sunday, it was really kinda of hard to "work" with about 5 different people that work in a VW Shop standing over your shoulder giving advice. Especially when your tired, getting bit by mosquitoes, it's getting dark and a light rain is falling and your 475 miles from home. Well you get the picture.
We have not had an engine class in a while on a Weds. night but we can have one at Don's garage if necessary. I hope to have this current problem in the books by then. :) You still on for Pizza and a beer or two?
Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Florida