advance timing causing high CHT

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VWinVT
Getting Hooked!

Re: advance timing causing high CHT

Post by VWinVT » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:37 am

Well that was truly frustrating...femps went up by about 15-20*. This guage may just go out the window! 55mph saw 425-430...even saw 440 on a hill. GRRRRR

VWinVT
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWinVT » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:46 pm

So, I got a new can of ether and started to spray, looking for vacuum leaks. Lo and behold, when I sprayed injectors # 1 & 2 the motor bogged down for each injector. Now what do I do?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:06 am

VWinVT wrote:So, I got a new can of ether and started to spray, looking for vacuum leaks. Lo and behold, when I sprayed injectors # 1 & 2 the motor bogged down for each injector. Now what do I do?
Replace the injector o-rings. Ten minute job. Stay cool. This is all an adventure that makes you self-reliant where you develop a flinty far-off gaze whenever disaster strikes, "VWinVT? He's a cool cat under pressure."
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

VWinVT
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWinVT » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:29 am

HA! :) Thanks for the laugh! I have ordered new injector seals. Interestingly, I have been doing a lot of reading, (which is interesting by itself!) I have been have sputtering/stalling after initial startup since I got the van a year ago. It went away with some AFM adjustment (rich), but now has come back, a bit worse than before, now that all the other smaller vacuum leaks are corrected. Last time I sprayed them, they were fine because the motor was warm and the seals swelled. Now, even with a warm motor the leak and failed the ether test. We (wife and 2 girls under age 2) are planning a family trip to Cape Cod in the next week and I was hoping to solve all of this so we could take the bus, but it may have to wait till the next trip.

VWinVT
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWinVT » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:23 pm

Before I go and spend more $ on parts...is the O ring that seals the injector to the intake an 'regular' O ring? I have a supply of O rings, was wondering if one of these will work...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 am

VWinVT wrote:Before I go and spend more $ on parts...is the O ring that seals the injector to the intake an 'regular' O ring? I have a supply of O rings, was wondering if one of these will work...
They are IIRC, buna-nitrile gas resistant o-rings at a couple of bucks each and application-specific would be best for the critical sealing function they perform in that hot hot hot gassy gassy gassy environment.

You mentioned some misbehavior that worsened after vacuum leak repairs? If the mixture was adjusted with the leaks present, then the mixture will dive into to "too rich" territory after the vacuum leak repair.

If you don't get this sorted before I show up in Vermont, PM me and I'll help you spend more money, on "consultation" this time.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 am

VWinVT wrote:Before I go and spend more $ on parts...is the O ring that seals the injector to the intake an 'regular' O ring? I have a supply of O rings, was wondering if one of these will work...
There are actually two "o-rings" (actually, more like doughnuts) per injector: one does the actual sealing, the other acts as a holder/retainer/tension element which encircles the injector body and presses the injector into the sealing o-ring to effect the seal. These larger rings can shrink/harden/wear out over time with the effect of reducing the amount of force being applied to keep a good seal, so it's prudent to replace them with new rings at the same time you replace the sealing rings.

This is one of those cases where it's a good idea to spring for the genuine VW-blessed part instead of shopping for the best price on knock-off garbage. The price for all 8 pieces shouldn't break anybody's bank. For example, Scott at Gerrnan Supply has this handy kit for a mere 14 Canadian bux.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

VWinVT
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWinVT » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 am

Yes, I agree that buying the proper deals is money well money spent. I wasn't sure what the "O" rings looked like. Now that I know that they are not "regular" O rings, I will certainly purchase the proper set. Thanks!