New Noise?

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

THall
Getting Hooked!

New Noise?

Post by THall » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:06 am

I seemed to have developed a new noise. I'll confess I haven't crawled underneath yet to check things out, but I thought I'd see if someone could chime in.

It's typically when shifting between 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd...I'll get up to shifting rpm's and depress the clutch; at that point I'll hear a bit of a rattle or vibration for just a moment. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Tim
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: New Noise?

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:08 am

THall wrote:I seemed to have developed a new noise. I'll confess I haven't crawled underneath yet to check things out, but I thought I'd see if someone could chime in.

It's typically when shifting between 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd...I'll get up to shifting rpm's and depress the clutch; at that point I'll hear a bit of a rattle or vibration for just a moment. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Tim
Well Tim, and how are you anyway? we could speculate idly all day.

If you are having a bad day, the release bearing is falling apart and hates being asked to spin up, but once under full pressure, it quiets down (unlikely but been there with a BMW).

An out-of-alignment release bearing/pressure plate interface can not only make the sound at first engagement, but tickle your foot in some cases, this is caused by any number of impending failures like a cross fork weld fracture that allows the release bearing to drop out of concentricity.

Try a stationary test half in the garage, rev engine to 3,000 rpm in neutral, step on clutch lightly and see if you can replicate the symptoms. As a general rule, you are merely transmitting engine vibrations through the clutch cable briefly, then when the pull on the cable gets taut, it dampens out.
If it only occurs on the road, i.e. garage test yields nothing, try to make the sound not while accelerating but decelerating. If you cannot get the sound while attempting a downshift, I will guess idly that you have a heater control valve or some other bit touching the understructure somewhere.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

THall
Getting Hooked!

Re: New Noise?

Post by THall » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 am

Amskeptic wrote:
THall wrote:I seemed to have developed a new noise. I'll confess I haven't crawled underneath yet to check things out, but I thought I'd see if someone could chime in.

Thanks,

-Tim
Well Tim, and how are you anyway? we could speculate idly all day.

If you are having a bad day, the release bearing is falling apart and hates being asked to spin up, but once under full pressure, it quiets down (unlikely but been there with a BMW).

An out-of-alignment release bearing/pressure plate interface can not only make the sound at first engagement, but tickle your foot in some cases, this is caused by any number of impending failures like a cross fork weld fracture that allows the release bearing to drop out of concentricity.

Try a stationary test half in the garage, rev engine to 3,000 rpm in neutral, step on clutch lightly and see if you can replicate the symptoms. As a general rule, you are merely transmitting engine vibrations through the clutch cable briefly, then when the pull on the cable gets taut, it dampens out.
If it only occurs on the road, i.e. garage test yields nothing, try to make the sound not while accelerating but decelerating. If you cannot get the sound while attempting a downshift, I will guess idly that you have a heater control valve or some other bit touching the understructure somewhere.
Colin
Thanks for the suggestions Colin, I'll see what I can figure out. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on the itinerary schedule for next year.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI