78' bus fuel injected 2.0

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

78' bus fuel injected 2.0

Post by khargis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:47 pm

hello folks, after a month n a half on the road, i am unfortunately back, yet fortunate enough to have a great crew amidst the interweb! so, we arrived in san francisco a few days ago and after performing well on the road, mainly highway driving, my bus has decided to run fairly rough on the stand still or should i say when i am not givin her gas. when i come to a stop for example, the idle seems lost (hunts, as i heard it described) and sometimes wants to just go to sleep, same when i start it up, but not all the time. any thoughts? thanks ya'll, kris :salute:

ps. in early august, bill at traftons in portland, or. helped me adjust the points and timing
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 78' bus fuel injected 2.0

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 pm

khargis wrote:hello folks, after a month n a half on the road, i am unfortunately back, yet fortunate enough to have a great crew amidst the interweb! so, we arrived in san francisco a few days ago and after performing well on the road, mainly highway driving, my bus has decided to run fairly rough on the stand still or should i say when i am not givin her gas. when i come to a stop for example, the idle seems lost (hunts, as i heard it described) and sometimes wants to just go to sleep, same when i start it up, but not all the time. any thoughts? thanks ya'll, kris :salute:

ps. in early august, bill at traftons in portland, or. helped me adjust the points and timing
If the car was running well and suddenly changes, you need to look for vacuum leaks in the myriad of hoses in the engine compartment. Auxiliary air regulator elbow, brake booster connection at manifold, s-boot, etc. It is important to track these down.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:31 am

thanks colin, on the list for today. would it be wise to replace all the hoses? i briefly checked some of the hoses yesterday and noticed i can pull some of them off by hand. is this normal or does this mean replace? are hoses clamps a good idea? what is a good lubricant to ease the fitting of the hoses? thanks again, kris hope all is well...
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:59 am

khargis wrote:thanks colin, on the list for today. would it be wise to replace all the hoses? i briefly checked some of the hoses yesterday and noticed i can pull some of them off by hand. is this normal or does this mean replace? are hoses clamps a good idea? what is a good lubricant to ease the fitting of the hoses? thanks again, kris hope all is well...
The formed hoses are not available. I fix their cracked ends with Permatex Ultrablack RTV. Pulling off by hand is nice and normal if the ends are not split.
Spit is a decent enough lubricant in many cases, GumOut works. Hose clamps may help your RTV repairs, but good hoses do not need clamps ... vacuum draws the hoses on.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RohanWesty77
I'm New!

Post by RohanWesty77 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:43 pm

I know this post is WAY old now. But just an update. Both the C hose from the decel valve to the intake boot and the hose to the oil breather are available from GermanSupply out of Canada. They are repros, so they will look different from original cloth covered ones. A good reproduction intake boot is also available from AirHead parts in California. Was actually really surprised how great this product looked. Just replaced all my vacuum hoses and these all seem to be great parts replacing hard to find originals. A caution with GermanSupply. Its a small operation and they tend to get swamped. So be aware when ordering from them. Orders can take some time to ship. Advice, don't take bus apart until parts arrive, if you can help it.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:40 pm

RohanWesty77 wrote:A good reproduction intake boot is also available from AirHead parts in California. Was actually really surprised how great this product looked.
I met with Scott from Airhead/KGPR today and inspected one of these. They feel first-rate, and the decel valve/AAR pipe connections DO have the little receiving slots for the metal pipes to actively grab. I can not comment on the installed fit, as my current setup is carbureted and, well, you know how that goes… Scott mentioned they are a new mold, (not using the original molds,) so once we confirm fitment/longevity, it will be nice to be able to recommend them.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:49 pm

RohanWesty77 wrote:I know this post is WAY old now. But just an update. Both the C hose from the decel valve to the intake boot and the hose to the oil breather are available from GermanSupply out of Canada. They are repros, so they will look different from original cloth covered ones. A good reproduction intake boot is also available from AirHead parts in California. Was actually really surprised how great this product looked. Just replaced all my vacuum hoses and these all seem to be great parts replacing hard to find originals. A caution with GermanSupply. Its a small operation and they tend to get swamped. So be aware when ordering from them. Orders can take some time to ship. Advice, don't take bus apart until parts arrive, if you can help it.
I think anyone considering purchasing parts from GermanSupply should read their feedback thread on The Samba. I used them on one order. It was the one and only time I'll ever us them.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

AZ Landshaper
I'm New!

Post by AZ Landshaper » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:19 pm

I've ordered thru them and had no issue what so ever. For the record and because I know running a business is the toughest job you will ever love.

Living the dream