Bus 1 has issues...

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Re: Bus 1 has issues...

Post by 71whitewesty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:52 am

Got another update here. Now I know I’ve said “I think I got it” a few times already...but I think I got it this time.
The distributor rebuilt by WCFVW69 is awesome. Really made a difference in how it ran. But ultimately wasn’t the whole problem but absolutely needed to be rebuilt. I just put on another awesome rebuilt carb from volksbitz and it helped too. No more sticky choke on start up. But that still wasn’t the underlying problem. So today I finally decided to replace the intake gasket on the 1/2 cylinder side where we’ve (Colin and I) noticed a very slight possible intake leak last summer. It’s slight and sporadic. I’ve sprayed carb cleaner around that area so many times with mixed results but any sign of a vacuum leak needs to be dealt with. So I had to loosen the manifold up at the heat risers and the case because I needed to slide it over a tad to get the DP intake off. Sort of a pain but not really a big deal at all. Don’t ask why I didn’t do this first.... anyhow I think with the new carb, distributor and a new intake gasket, we are running smooth as silk now. I haven’t taken it on a long drive yet but sure seems fine on a short test drive. So with a little luck maybe it’s all worked out now.
Only thing I noticed on the intake gasket is I might have had it turned upside down, with the little hole in the center on the top intstead of the bottom to match the manifold. The gasket didn’t look all that crushed either. I’ve tightened it a few times hoping to fix any possible leaks. Manifold was nice and flat with no warpage. So not totally sure why the old gasket might not have sealed well but fingers crosses it seems sealed well now.
I’ll let you know if things change but seems like smooth sailing now. :cheers: :scratch: :geek:

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Ok it is FOR SURE fixed now. New manifold gasket was the issue. For some reason just didn’t have a good seal. I’ve now taken it on a few hour drive and it’s idleing steady and perfect as can be. Absolutely runs great now. No more sticky choke, wow I am stoked.
I generally learn the hard way and this was no exception. Lol!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 pm

71whitewesty wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 pm
Ok it is FOR SURE fixed now. New manifold gasket was the issue. For some reason just didn’t have a good seal. I’ve now taken it on a few hour drive and it’s idling steadily and perfect as can be. Absolutely runs great now. No more sticky choke, wow I am stoked.
I generally learn the hard way and this was no exception. Lol!

Excellent. So, the intake manifold gasket is normally indexed with a dowel on the intake port. You wrote that the manifold gasket was installed upside down, did I read that correctly?

We all learn the hard way because the Creator of the Universe just loves hammering us with the "perseverence" lesson.
Congratulations, you own this win.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:56 am

I “think” I may have had it upside down. I don’t seem to have a dowel to index it but I do have a small hole in the intake and the gasket that might not have matched up.
Been driving it everyday because we are having a great fall and it’s running great.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:32 pm

71whitewesty wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:56 am
Been driving it everyday because we are having a great fall and it’s running great.

Me too! I am embarrassed with how much I have been driving it . . .
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles