Am I insane and should I let it sit for some collector?

411 / 412 ~ 2-dr, 4-dr

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Am I insane and should I let it sit for some collector?

Post by reluctantartist » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 am

Ok, in short I found a what may be a very nice 412 wagon that has been restored down to the metal. It also comes with what is left of the donor/parts car for $3500. I need a car for hauling the little tots around so we can save the 1982 air-cooled westy for real trips. $3500 seems reasonable if it is as described (maybe I am wrong here and should try to come down on the price) and I would have more fun using the 412 than some subaru or volvo.

But, these things are getting rare so would I be doing a disservice using it as my regular car and driving in the winter, etc. Of course I would keep on top of rust issues when they occur, etc. But it also means having to go ahead and do parts modification when necessary to keep it going as it is now it is a show car. I think it is better to use a car than just have it sit.
82 Westy

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Re: Am I insane and should I let it sit for some collector?

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:32 am

if you know how to do most of your own maintenance, go for it. never mind what the naysayers say, it's your money and it would be your car, use it as you see fit. i would. never offer asking price first, the seller has usually determined what they'll settle for and added to it for negotiation.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 am

What makes you think it'll go to a collector. About 15 years ago, I was living with a college buddy. His little brother graduated from high school, and as a present the little bro's grandmother gave him an original, pristine beetle convertible. It was destroyed within 3 years.

If you like the car, and you've got the money, buy it and use it. Being in the hands of someone who knows and respects the car will do as much or more for it than anything else.

Mike.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Since you asked for our opinions, here's mine; if a classic car has made it this far relatively rust-free why ruin it now by driving it in the winter?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 pm

buy it, drive it- wash it in the winter- have fun

id rather see it driving any day than stuck in somebodys garage.
60 beetle
78 bus

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Wood sides and everything!
I'm with zabo: get it, drive it. That's why it was built.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 pm

reluctantartist wrote:Ok, in short I found a what may be a very nice 412 wagon that has been restored down to the metal. It also comes with what is left of the donor/parts car for $3500. I need a car for hauling the little tots around so we can save the 1982 air-cooled westy for real trips. $3500 seems reasonable if it is as described (maybe I am wrong here and should try to come down on the price) and I would have more fun using the 412 than some subaru or volvo.

But, these things are getting rare so would I be doing a disservice using it as my regular car and driving in the winter, etc. Of course I would keep on top of rust issues when they occur, etc. But it also means having to go ahead and do parts modification when necessary to keep it going as it is now it is a show car. I think it is better to use a car than just have it sit.
This car should not be used in salt season. They are getting rarer still, and there is no such thing as keeping on top of rust when it occurs, it is occurring in places that are too late by the time you see it. If you have tots and winter driving duties, get a car with up-to-date safety for winter driving.
ColinTwoCrashesWitnessedJustYesterdayOneFatal
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 pm

My 73 super was eaten alive after 3 years of Chicago winter driving. It hides in weird places (the salt that is...)
I don't know what to say about that fake paneling however!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:19 am

I am still inclined to go ahead and get it. I know they are getting rare, but there isn't much available in that price range in that kind of condition. I looked at volvos and subarus and the volvos have they have their own host of issues (my wife has a 2002 S60 T5 and that has been a headache at times) as well as subarus. The sad thing about these cars is it seems like there are fewer of them than Edsels and Edsels are going for a very pretty penny now a days; these cars may very well fade into oblivion with just the few remaining in the VW museum. If I got a type 3 in this condition I would be paying over $10k. If I got a newer car in this condition I would be paying a lot more than $3500 and wouldn't have the spare parts to go with it. The guy has had it for sale for a while and no one is waiting in line to get it so it is not like a collector is coming for it anyway (heck I am able to take my time in deciding if I want it since there isn't a demand for it). Sitting in a garage rotting away isn't good either, so I have to spray the under body with waxoyl and wash it promptly when it snows, that isn't too much to demand for a fun car that doesn't require a dealer to make updates to the computer software, etc. I don't plan on reselling the car if I got it...hopefully one of the kids will want it later on as well as the Westy.
82 Westy

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

do they salt the roads there? if not it shouldn't be too big of a deal to keep it uber clean in the winter. otherwise it's an eventual death sentence.
could you get a more fun car for the money in that condition? no. but you could certainly get something more practical if that's of any concern.
a 90's Camry wagon, Honda accord, or even first gen Honda Odyssey would be good candidates.

I say buy it, but then get a winter beater as well. a 200k mile import does the job nicely. Hyundai has made some incredibly well built and designed cars of late and they are much easier to score in used condition compared to the obvious choices, if you can get over the fact that they used to be total shite.

multiple old VW's is a must for any driveway, but it's really nice to have something boring/generic for daily kid hauling and winter reliability/safety.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Please do not drive it in the winter. Just looking at the amazingly hidden places that desert dust has gotten into the BobD, salt will find them in the 412, which is known for rusting away rapidly.

Sure, I have been driving the snot out of a unusually low-mileage original bus, but I am promising history that it will hold up over the long haul.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

stealthcamper
I'm New!

Post by stealthcamper » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:01 pm

That car is too unique and cool to sacrafice to the evil salt gods. Salt doesn't "wash off."
Lots of cheap, safe, reliable, non-classic VW cars out there to use as winter beaters.
Brian.
1978 Type II Custom Campmobile; 409k, Original paint.
My first car, owned since 1988.

"Goin' where the climate suits my clothes"

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 am

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Lanval wrote:What makes you think it'll go to a collector. About 15 years ago, I was living with a college buddy. His little brother graduated from high school, and as a present the little bro's grandmother gave him an original, pristine beetle convertible. It was destroyed within 3 years.

If you like the car, and you've got the money, buy it and use it. Being in the hands of someone who knows and respects the car will do as much or more for it than anything else.

Mike.
+1
It's cool and all, but those cars are not high on the collectible car list. Undercoat it and drive it.