Little help please.

411 / 412 ~ 2-dr, 4-dr

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Little help please.

Post by gmag69 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 am

Well here is the 411. In the spring we'll be ditching the g/f's Ford Contour ( :cheers: ) and will be getting a different vehicle for her to get her license in and drive. I've been trying to get her into an air-cooled like a squareback or something like that.(she said she'd drive a Notchback so I think I'm working on her :) .
Anyways, I ran acrossed this car in the classifieds :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=697015

It is about 2/3 hrs from me so I was thinking of going to look at in the spring if he still has it and it hasn't been parted.

Here is my question. He says in the ad that "the engine needs new fuel injection trigger points". What is he talking about? From looking on the net these cars came with L-Jet fuel injection right? Does he mean the AFM? If so would a bus AFM work as long as the numbers jive? I'm sure the L-Jet parts are interchangable right?

Sorry for all the questions. I hate to see this car set and rot away. It looked to be in good shape from the pics in his last ad he had up for it. As long as it can be fixed and isn't a pile I'm sure she'd drive it. If not I'd roll it. 8)

thanks for any help.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:11 am

I think, but may be wrong, there was an extra set of points in early FI dissy's. That would be the way the 'puter gets its signal?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:22 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:I think, but may be wrong, there was an extra set of points in early FI dissy's. That would be the way the 'puter gets its signal?
Thanks Bill. That would make sense. I'm new to the VW fuel injection thing.I'm more of a bodyman.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Early 411s had the D-Jet fuel injection that uses a different distributor with dual points in the bottom of the can. D-Jet is a good analog system, very rugged. Find an extra manifold sensor and set of trigger points, and you can wing it on the rest. The Type 4 engine enjoys D-Jet more than L-Jet, because vacuum leaks actually richen the mixture, so the exhaust valves are not living in mortal fear every day.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Thanks Colin. We'll see what happens once spring gets here. I'd go now but no $$ is killing it for me. :bounce: I'd like to diversify my VW portfolio alittle bit. :joker:

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:10 pm

Djet trigger points were NLA but I have heard they are available....All Djet engines have a dizzy with a set of extra points at the bottom to signal the ECU to fire the injectors in pairs. They hardly ever wear out but they do.. The MPS is harder to source these days but they are around.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:34 pm

Well the car was pending and now the ad has been removed so someone must have got it. Oh well. there are more fish in the sea.