I've just joined this forum!

411 / 412 ~ 2-dr, 4-dr

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: I've just joined this forum!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:20 am

I have a nice Djet FI setup w/ new injectors that would be great to use. Its off a 914 1.7 so its the same setup as 411/411.
Colin, I always liked the early ones better! Kinda like a classic design like the 59 Chevy!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Kirk Knighton
I'm New!

Post by Kirk Knighton » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 am

Yes, I've owned Sparkie since 2005. Did you see that article in VW Trends, February 2003? That's where I first learned of her, a fellow 412 enthusiast. I mailed her a letter via the magazine and they sent it to her and she contacted me. She told me about her club's cruise coming through Seattle in the summer and we agreed to meet up - and we actually did and it was an amazing thing, like we intuitively knew we were like brother and sister because of our weird cars. I had no idea she was ill and was shocked to hear of her death a year later. But then out of the blue her father contacted me, saying Julie had wanted me to have Sparkie. So my young daughters and I took the train down to the Bay Area and met him and stayed a few days while he told us many of the stories of Julie ( his only child ) and Sparkie. Really it was heartbreaking. But he insisted Sparkie was to go to me - I paid him for the car, as he had bills to deal with. It's been an incredible honor to be Sparkie's caretaker. I keep her in my garage with my other two Type-4s and take excellent care of her. She still looks and runs great.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Kirk Knighton wrote:Yes, I've owned Sparkie since 2005. Did you see that article in VW Trends, February 2003? That's where I first learned of her, a fellow 412 enthusiast. I mailed her a letter via the magazine and they sent it to her and she contacted me. She told me about her club's cruise coming through Seattle in the summer and we agreed to meet up - and we actually did and it was an amazing thing, like we intuitively knew we were like brother and sister because of our weird cars. I had no idea she was ill and was shocked to hear of her death a year later. But then out of the blue her father contacted me, saying Julie had wanted me to have Sparkie. So my young daughters and I took the train down to the Bay Area and met him and stayed a few days while he told us many of the stories of Julie ( his only child ) and Sparkie. Really it was heartbreaking. But he insisted Sparkie was to go to me - I paid him for the car, as he had bills to deal with. It's been an incredible honor to be Sparkie's caretaker. I keep her in my garage with my other two Type-4s and take excellent care of her. She still looks and runs great.
That is quite a story. I have a semi-similar one, but I think Mike is Upstairs having quite a few good laughs at the challenges his car presents me.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Kirk Knighton
I'm New!

Post by Kirk Knighton » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Kirk Knighton wrote:Yes, I've owned Sparkie since 2005. Did you see that article in VW Trends, February 2003? That's where I first learned of her, a fellow 412 enthusiast. I mailed her a letter via the magazine and they sent it to her and she contacted me. She told me about her club's cruise coming through Seattle in the summer and we agreed to meet up - and we actually did and it was an amazing thing, like we intuitively knew we were like brother and sister because of our weird cars. I had no idea she was ill and was shocked to hear of her death a year later. But then out of the blue her father contacted me, saying Julie had wanted me to have Sparkie. So my young daughters and I took the train down to the Bay Area and met him and stayed a few days while he told us many of the stories of Julie ( his only child ) and Sparkie. Really it was heartbreaking. But he insisted Sparkie was to go to me - I paid him for the car, as he had bills to deal with. It's been an incredible honor to be Sparkie's caretaker. I keep her in my garage with my other two Type-4s and take excellent care of her. She still looks and runs great.
That is quite a story. I have a semi-similar one, but I think Mike is Upstairs having quite a few good laughs at the challenges his car presents me.
Colin

By all means, tell me your story!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:44 am

Colin's bus, Cloe, is from Mike (Bookwus). This what he drove all over the USA this last year. Mike died of cancer 2 years ago. The story's are in the forum in his reports and are quite entertaining.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/