Take the Bus to the bike trail

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Re: Take the Bus to the bike trail

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Hey guys-

In my experience there are at least a couple types of butt pain. :) The primary one is what you get when you first get on a bike, or after you've had a lay-off. It's just a matter of toughening up your skin and sit bones and other parts, which happens naturally after a couple weeks of riding regularly.

I deal with that one a lot these days because it's not uncommon for me to take a month off the bike (forced time off, due to adult responsibilities). When I get back on the bike each time, it takes a couple weeks before I reach the point again where I'm not squirming all over the seat the entire ride, trying to relieve the pain/chafing.

A good chamois cream helps. A good substitute is any thicker lotion that has lanolin in it.

And of course, bike shorts are mandatory. I wear mine under some baggier shorts these days, but never do any riding other than commuting short distances without bike shorts with a well-made chamois. My favorite brand are Sugoi. The liner chamois that come in most "baggy" cycling shorts are total crap. Cardboard. I have cut a few liners out so I could just wear my favorite bike shorts under them.

Without bike shorts, expect pain.

Now, that's the most common type of butt pain. The chafing and sit bones pain. Time will take care of it. What I saw happen over and over in bike shops: guy comes into the shop, buys a bike. Hasn't been on a bike in years. He rides it a few times and comes back in going "I need a bigger seat with more cushion; my butt's killing me." So instead of taking the time to let his butt get used to riding, now he has a HUGE seat with padding and springs shoved between his legs every ride... which believe it or not is actually more painful than a smaller seat, and will increase your chafing.

That guy gets his Big Seat and goes home. He will do one of two things: either put the bike in the garage and not ride anymore because the seat hurts his butt OR he'll decide to ride through it and a month later his butt has gotten used to riding and he attributes it to his Big Seat and spends the rest of his days riding an otherwise cool bike with an enormous seat on it that looks like it might fit a Harley-Davidson.

:flower:

I'm not saying there aren't seats out there that just plain suck. Many of them do, particularly the ones that most bike manufacturers put on their entry- and mid-level bicycles. But don't just run out to find a seat with more padding... instead, try to find a light, low-profile seat that is actually shaped in such a way that it doesn't offend your ass-saddle interface. LOL

The other kind of butt pain is a fit issue. Speaking in general terms, you want your weight divided evenly over three contact points on the bike: your butt, your hands and your feet. If any one of those are taking too much weight, they are likely to cause you problems. If you already have problems in one area, you can adjust your cockpit so that a little less weight is on that body part. For instance, it's common for people to have carpal tunnel. Most of them who are willing to put some time and money into adjusting their bike fit will eventually find relief by shifting their weight off of the hands and onto the feet and butt.

If your butt hurts, you may try standing more often. Same for erectile dysfunction issues or numbness... stand up for 30 seconds every 10 minutes, minimum. There was a study done ten years or so ago, when every bike and fitness magazine had an article in it about cycling causing ED, that showed that most cases of cyclists having ED could be alleviated by the person making a point of NOT sitting without standing for long periods of time.

I could ramble on and on, but I need to get to bed because we're doing a 6 hour mtn bike ride tomorrow morning at 4:30 AM. Not all that stoked about it, but I'm not one to wimp out. :)

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:28 am

That was a great write up Greg. Thanks.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:42 am

Velokid1 wrote:Hey guys-

In my experience there are at least a couple types of butt pain. :) The primary one is what you get when you first get on a bike, or after you've had a lay-off. It's just a matter of toughening up your skin and sit bones and other parts, which happens naturally after a couple weeks of riding regularly.

I deal with that one a lot these days because it's not uncommon for me to take a month off the bike (forced time off, due to adult responsibilities). When I get back on the bike each time, it takes a couple weeks before I reach the point again where I'm not squirming all over the seat the entire ride, trying to relieve the pain/chafing.
I guess there is one of my issues, I don't have the bike shorts. I used to and have been looking for a new pair but not hard enough. I don't think it hurts enough to keep me off, but I will get them and see if they help. I am still in the amateur phase yet again in my cycling since I have been off so long. I really think the last time I was serious was when I was in Korea and rode around the runway every other day. Another factor is the heat, it is 90 in the day here now, when you are moving in the breeze it is nice but boy when you stop, you are drenched quick. Yesterday I did not drink enough water, most times I am good at that.

Russell, I will probably do the Comet in August. Drive on down and we'll give it a try.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:28 pm

I totaled up my miles from 2011 on the bike today, only 546.2 from my RunKeeper on my iPhone. I know that is not all, some days it did not work on the GPS, some days I did not have the phone. I did try to record every day I was out there. Also I did not start riding until April, this year I will ride all year. I am still not doing mountain riding or speed riding on roads. Yesterday on the train was a girl less than 5 feet tall who flew past me and probably finished my course twenty minutes before I did. I talk about bike riding because if you ever wanted to get in better shape. and get outdoors, and get some exercise, then I highly recommend it.
I also ran at least 167 miles, granted I don't do marathons, fun runs or stuff like that, and I was out two months with an injury, getting old is a bitch.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:00 am

Sylvester wrote:I totaled up my miles from 2011 on the bike today, only 546.2 from my RunKeeper on my iPhone. I know that is not all, some days it did not work on the GPS, some days I did not have the phone. I did try to record every day I was out there. Also I did not start riding until April, this year I will ride all year. I am still not doing mountain riding or speed riding on roads. Yesterday on the train was a girl less than 5 feet tall who flew past me and probably finished my course twenty minutes before I did. I talk about bike riding because if you ever wanted to get in better shape. and get outdoors, and get some exercise, then I highly recommend it.
I also ran at least 167 miles, granted I don't do marathons, fun runs or stuff like that, and I was out two months with an injury, getting old is a bitch.
My old bike is at about 15,000 miles since new. The seat is a proper skinny saddle, and it has a center groove to protect delicate nerves and such. Not at all comfortable until enough seat time has passed. Like the crabby automobile attitude I have, I prefer my old "analog" shifters over these stupid new discrete "digital" shifters.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 am

Amskeptic wrote:My old bike is at about 15,000 miles since new. The seat is a proper skinny saddle, and it has a center groove to protect delicate nerves and such. Not at all comfortable until enough seat time has passed. Like the crabby automobile attitude I have, I prefer my old "analog" shifters over these stupid new discrete "digital" shifters.
Colin
I have one of those seats now, got one for Christmas. I will have to get my ass acclimated to a bike again for distance before I put it on. Digital shifters? Never seen those. Bring your bike back down, we'll go riding.

Anyone else have a good year biking?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 am

Sylvester wrote: Digital shifters? Never seen those.
I had quotation marks around "digital". They have discrete positions that do not necessarily correspond with the optimum alignment of the derailleur to the sprockets. For lazy folks.
Mine are infinite so I can position the derailleur as I see fit. For obsessive folks.
Colin

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sylvester wrote: Digital shifters? Never seen those.
I had quotation marks around "digital". They have discrete positions that do not necessarily correspond with the optimum alignment of the derailleur to the sprockets. For lazy folks.
Mine are infinite so I can position the derailleur as I see fit. For obsessive folks.
Colin
Like Lance Armstrong. He rides with top-o-the line Shimano clicky gear shifters, but only for the rear cogs and not for the front chain rings. Take a look at any old pics from the TdF, his front shifter is an 'analog' lever near the headset.

It looks like Jan Ulrich does the same. I have older Campagnolo shifters on my road bike that can be set for either click shifting or resistance (analog) shifting. I don't think Shimano shifters give you the option. My rear gear shifter is set for clicks, while the front shifter is set to resistance for infinite adjustability of the derailleur cage. The SRAM shifters on my mountain bike are trigger/click shift for both front and rear, and they work great. Way better than the old Shimano XT did.

The newer click shifters are vastly superior to their predecessors in terms of precision and speed. They make shifting nearly effortless, so you tend to ride more often at the optimum gear for your fitness level and the terrain. Plus they are safer because you aren't fiddling around with a shift lever trying to find the sweet spot while you should be steering or braking.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Sylvester wrote:Anyone else have a good year biking?
I had a great year of riding and looking forward to even more in 2012
satchmo wrote: I don't think Shimano shifters give you the option.
Tim
You can trim the front ring on the Shimano Ultegra shifters with a half click if necessary. Usually it's not needed. Shifts in and out like butter.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:36 am

My bike has a shimano tx55 rear derailleur, and ef-tx51 7spd ez-fire shifters. I need to adjust them they are loose after a year of riding. And I need to tease and oil the whole bike up, it got dirty in Savannah.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 am

Sylvester wrote:My bike has a shimano tx55 rear derailleur, and ef-tx51 7spd ez-fire shifters. I need to adjust them they are loose after a year of riding. And I need to tease and oil the whole bike up, it got dirty in Savannah.
I'm not familiar with those. Is there an adjuster on the cable? What lube do you prefer? I use Prolink on the chain and Triflow on the other moving parts. I clean and lube my chain regularly. Bike stuff seems to elicit almost as strong opinions as do VWs.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Lance only used a downtube shifter as a weight savings on his climbing bike during mountain stages and I think he only did that for a few years. That photo of him and Jan was from 2001. And his downtube shifter was still indexed, not a friction shifter.

Oh and Colin, the indexed shifters work perfectly if they are being used with compatible componentry and have been adjusted properly. It's kinda like a VW.

I know I sound like a know-it-all, sorry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Velokid1 wrote: Oh and Colin, the indexed shifters work perfectly if they are being used with compatible componentry and have been adjusted properly. It's kinda like a VW.
I know I sound like a know-it-all, sorry.
Oh yeah RIGHT, like I don't sound like an insufferable know-it-all over the past ten years on these forums??
uh, don't answer that...)

The indexed shifters I test-rode gave subtly noisier rear derailleur action as the front chainwheel sprockets were shifted. It seemed that the change in "parallel" of the chain as you went from inboard to outboard at the crank would shift the position of the rear derailleur engagement. The front derailleur was hopelessly unable to handle the full five sprocket spread at the rear. If you adjusted it quiet for 1-3, it would rub at 4-5. With infinite shifters, I could always keep things quiet and bang out nice shifts with the 40 years practice that I have enjoyed with this bike. Sort of an idiot-savant precurser to my double-clutching affliction.
:cyclopsani:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:47 pm

RussellK wrote:I'm not familiar with those. Is there an adjuster on the cable? What lube do you prefer? I use Prolink on the chain and Triflow on the other moving parts. I clean and lube my chain regularly. Bike stuff seems to elicit almost as strong opinions as do VWs.
I'll take a picture of them tomorrow. My maintenance of the bike is a bit behind. Really all I have used for oil is 3 in one oil I have.

I did get a pair of bike shorts with the gel in the seat, oh boy they help. I have seen some people in the bike pants, not sure I would wear them at all especially when it starts getting warm down here. I need some bike shirts, something cars can see if I am on the road.

Who all does trail riding on here? I think Velo said he did. I want to do some roads for distance but a few trails would not hurt either.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Hey back on this subject, I need a bike rack. I know the Fiamma is the schnizzle, but is that my only option? Dem dar things is nice but pricey, hard to spend on that when I need some shocks up front.