let's send some good vibes Belle Plaine's way

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

poptop tom
Old School!

Re: let's send some good vibes Belle Plaine's way

Post by poptop tom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 am

So sorry to hear this news, Chris. Prayers to and your family. If you need anything from me down this way, do not hesitate to call.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:55 am

Sorry to hear this. Best to you and your family.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:05 pm

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Wiping the tears from my eyes while I type this.

We are here for you if you need us.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Chris, Keri, I'm really sorry we all lost Dear Emma after such a valiant fight on all sides!

I'm really sorry you all have to go through such gut wrenchingly deep pain. Please send some of the hurt our way, as far as I know there are some pretty broad shoulders here to carry our share of your grief.

I'm really sorry!!!!!
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:33 am

I had an inkling and have drug my feet because I didn't want to have to offer my condolences. My heart goes out to you for your loss. Cherish the blessing of the gifts to your lives she shared. She struck me as a brave soul who lived fully every moment.

Love indeed,
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Post by jcbrock » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:55 am

Chris and Keri, no parent should have to lose a child. You gave Emma the 7 best years you could, never feel that you did anything less. I'm sorry I never met Emma, reading this thread tells me she was as tough and beautiful as people come. I hope with time the bad memories fade and the good memories grow.

Peace.
'76 Type II Station Wagon - in the family since new!
Corvallis, OR

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:23 am

I'm heartbroken. Emma now rests peacefully but you Chris, Keri and Brady must continue. How? How do we do anything that seems impossible? We just rise or fall to the occasion. Tears are in my eyes as I write, but especially for Brady. Hug him extra for me.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

Post by cheesehead » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 am

Wishing you and your family healing power, such unfair, unimaginable loss.
Peace,
Meg

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:19 pm

Can't imagine. You're all in my heart.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:54 pm

Oh heavens... :pale:
Sad, sad...

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:07 pm

One of my team members is going through the exact same thing...the boy is a little older, but the pain and heartache is the same; they made funeral arrangements on Friday; at the suggestion of the hospice doctor. 7 mos ago I broke out in tears telling my manager what was going on .... first time ever in the workplace. I can't imagine if I was in a similar situation with my daughter. Thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 am

Following up. Our family and friends have quietly shuffled back to their homes. Brady is back to school and I'll go back to work on Monday. Slowly, we are finding our new normal and though we are not "ok" we have peace. We will be ok because we will.

At the time of Emma's passing (actually for the days leading up to it as well) she was at home with her aunts, uncles, and all sets of grandparents. It was just Brady, Keri, my mom, and I in the room with her as she died. We sang to her and held her and we were very sad as she passed. Earlier in the week, we had spoke to Brady. Keep in mind, Brady has an intuition and has been fully a part of this process for 4 years. We told him that Emma's cancer was growing and the doctors don't know how to fix it. Emma's body will no longer work. To that news he was interested in timelines such as will she live to be 30? 10? 8? He was/is mad, sad, and scared. In our spare bedroom, where we cared for Emma, he would pop in often and ask us if we needed a snack or something to drink. He would wait to see Emma take a breath and then pop back out to ham it up with family in the living room.

It's kind of a weird thing, but we live around the corner from the funeral home. Belle Plaine is a small town, barely considered a part of the Twin Cities extended metro area. Our home is very old and is located just off of the center of town. The couple that runs to funeral home are good friends and we visit with them quite often. It was good to know that our friends were taking care of Emma as they came to pick her up. I've been joking that "they've babysat before". Because of our close proximity to the funeral home, after both the visitation on Saturday and the service on Sunday we had fellowship, (party) back at our house. Having made a career working in the brewing industry, we had lots of beer to drink and food to eat. Saturday would have been Emma's 8th birthday which she missed by only 3 days. But we had a birthday party anyway. My dad smoked bbq ribs (a request from the birthday girl) and many of Emma's schoolmates and townsfolk came to visit. An ice-cream truck parked in the street and gave out free treats.

More to add later...
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:59 am

At peace...

I have kept up with your journey; not knowing you or Emma personally I have been touched nonetheless. I have two daughters and keeping up with Emma's fight has made me love them more deeply and has made me cherish the moments I have with them that much more.

I am on lunch right now and student just came in and asked me if I was OK, my eyes had tears in them. I told her a friend's daughter had recently passed.

All my best for your family and the memory and spirit of your little baby.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:01 am

BellePlaine wrote: Slowly, we are finding our new normal and though we are not "ok" we have peace. We will be ok because we will.

It was just Brady, Keri, my mom, and I in the room with her as she died. We sang to her and held her and we were very sad as she passed.

More to add later...
I think she was lucky to have had you as her father.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:32 am

Yes, she was very lucky to have you as a father and family. Brings tears to my eyes reading all of this story as it's unfolded on the BBS over the years. Going ahead celebrating her eighth birthday with family and friends was special. Hopefully you'll keep the tradition going forward as she will be with you forever.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/