Here's a poll about children and us....

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

If you have children, what are their ages?

A) newborn to 5
21%
A) newborn to 5
21%
B) 6-12
14%
B) 6-12
14%
C) 13-16
No votes
C) 13-16
No votes
D) 16-18
11%
D) 16-18
11%
E) Yes, but they don't live at home
4%
E) Yes, but they don't live at home
4%

Total votes: 28

zblair
The Zster

Here's a poll about children and us....

Post by zblair » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:14 am

With the talk about kids, I felt it would be interesting to know more about our community here.:toothy7:

One other question; are your children biologically yours or stepchildren or a combo?

In our case, we have two children we share that are Jeffrey's. Jeffrey's son will be 18 Christmas Eve and my
stepdaughter turned 16 this past July. \:D/ They live with their mom in Upstate NY.

:wave: Disclaimer: This info is merely for my own curiousity and will not be used anywhere else in any way shape or form.
This is not meant to be an invasion of your privacy and participation is not required.
:yawinkle:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:41 am

Funny you should post this. I was just thinking about posting something about kids as my wife and I just had a baby girl 3 weeks ago. This is our second child, we also have a daughter that will turn 3 in January. Needless to say there is not much sleep going on at our house recently and things are a zoo. Throw in a cat that thinks he is a dog, and then a 75 lb dog and we had pure chaos - plus an endless supply of family and freinds. I think I am ready for a vacation - only 7 more weeks until I head to colorado to do some skiing and visit a friend.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:37 am

I remember those chaotic "baby days" well, and sometimes I really miss them. Enjoy them while you can - they fly by very quickly!

My wife and I have two daughters, ages 11 and 13 (they are actually only 18 months apart) in 6th grade and 8th grade. Although their personalities are very different, they are the best of friends and I hope that will continue throughout the rest of their lives!

We feel very lucky and blessed that they are both good students and not (yet) interested in boys, clothes, makeup, shopping, and all the other trappings of the "suburban lifestyle", even though many of their peers are definitely into that.

Dogs, horses, hamsters, Nickelodeon, and fantasy books (Eragon, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.) are their favorite things right now.

Oh, and VWs of course! In fact, they are pretty much responsible for the fact that we have a '78 Westy. You can read about that story here:

http://www.vwclub.org/autoist/autoist_0 ... toist.html

I guess you already know they have an over-protective dad.... :joker:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:41 am

Congratulations Papa! :wav:

That's a whole lot of activity there at your place! Sounds like your upcoming vacation will bring you some R & R you deserve!

:-k I didn't even think about mentioning our dogs, and they are like kids. Very well behaved kids. Buddy our Collie is 72 lbs and Saffron,
a Red Heeler lab mix is about 32 lbs. She was a Katrina rescue doggie :flower:

I forgot to add an option of no kids too. My bad. I couldn't go back to the poll to edit the poll questions.

Don- Not over-protective; concerned and involved :thumbright:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:03 am

Dont forget the pets - they are an important part of our family. Our golden retriever named Sunshine is 9.5 years old, still as active as a pup, but pays the price if she over excercises because of her age. Our cat charles is trouble and I cant wait til my wife can take over her duty of changing the cat litter which I took over while she was pregnant.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:04 am

We have 2 boys one is 16 the other 20. They are as different from each other as night and day and yet my youngest keeps asking when will his brother be back home from college. Now mind you when they do get together one will say "You're stupid" and the other will respond "You're ugly" and probably ignore each other the rest of the weekend.

The advice I give to all young parents is savor the time you get. enjoy enjoy enjoy. Spend as much time with your kids as you can and then spend a little more. You will never regret it.

This year I will be married 30 years to my best friend!

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:13 am

We lost our dear golden retriever Emma to lymphoma last Spring. She had just turned seven and it was very sad. We miss her greatly.

We now have a new golden retriever pup named Ellie that we brought home on Labor Day weekend. She's a bundle of energy and almost like having a new baby in the house!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:13 am

9 and 11 year old daughters living with me. About to go through
a divorce.

And an 18 year old step daughter that's a frosh in college.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:31 am

2 1/2 and 16, both fem fatales....O' Lord, why?
I jest, I adore my girls. The oldest is in Chicago and the little one here in Oregon.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:04 am

None yet, sadly.

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:38 am

One who's a month away from turning four, another who will be eleven come January (not biologically mine), and one turning nine in February (also not mine).
Plus three cats, a ginormous dog (100lbs, maybe a little over), a turtle and some fish.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:05 pm

you all know buses are the true suv, minivan, and camper rolled into one. i've got three children aged 10, 7, and almost 4. it's hard to believe they're biologically mine, they're all smarter and better looking. they're homeschooled, and love to travel in the bus. each has nearly forty thousand bay bus miles in their portfolio. they've been overnight guests at grave yards, and every conceivable boondocking experience imaginable from lake ozette to todos santos, from san francisco to new york on back roads [except baja sur - we took the main road]. a crackin' crew for certain :pirate:

today my youngest was helpful adjusting brakes on my 69, holding the flashlight and working the jackstand in prep for our trip to baja california sur. yep, they're mine. but this winter they're gettin' their own tent..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:57 am

skin daddio wrote: today my youngest was helpful adjusting brakes on my 69,
Excellent. You are giving them a portfolio of good memories.

Best electrical troubleshooter assistant I ever had was a six year-old hill-billy. "I AM pushing the door button stupid."
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:59 am

None of my own, but My SO and I have an honorary bus monkey that really belongs to some friends.

He is 3 1/2, and ever since he "helped" fix the clutch on the westy when it went out on a camping trip with him and his parents, buses are the center of his entire existence. Everything, and I mean everything, is a "bus" that needs "fixing." Vacuum cleaners make good buses, but beds are better, since you can crawl under them to work. Now we just need to work on his driving, since whenever we "start" the "bus" it goes:

"VROOM, VROOM, VROOM.........ker-CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:12 pm

Two sons, 10 and 12. I'm really glad the afore mentioned Baby Days are over. That really wasn't my cup'o'tea. They're a lot more fun to have around now. Babies scare the crap out of me!
Two dogs, Jack Russell Terriers, siblings (BIG MISTAKE!). Two box turtles, the female we've had since 1986 and the male since 1989, they'll outlive us all. Two fish tanks and a goldfish bowl each in my sons' rooms.
-John
Keep it acoustic.